Pregnant ?

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
no , what do i do . help
Also i noticed yesterday my other femail platy is fat also i think she is pregnant to
do i keep them both in 10 gallon tank. i only have the 2 femail and 1 male fish in that tank.
or do i have enough time to prepair my 5 gallon tank.

I have a 5 gallon tank with live plats no fish it has not cycled yet. It has been running for approximately 1 day with a filter. I have had plants and water in it for about 2 weeks with no filter , the water is cloudy, i am going to do a 50 % water charge and add some more live plants, and then do a watertest. hopefully i can get tank ready . as i don't now how much time i have before she has her baby's.

please help

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would put the one male in the 5g tank since he can stress out the females. Now is the 10g heavily planted? It should have hiding places for the fry. If its not heavily planted you will need a breeder net. This ataches to your tank and prevents your other fish from eating the fry (mother will eat them 2)

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
IT DOES HAVE QUITE A FEW PLANTS NEAR SERFACE , AS PICTURE SHOWS AND AT BOTTOM OF TANK. BUT IF FEMAIL JUST GOT FAT ABOUT 5 DAYS AGO HOW LONG B4 FREY ARE BORN.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I raised some guppies so I can help you here. First of all don't remove the male to the 5 gallon if it's not cycled no point in putting him through the misery, 2:1 ratio is ok if you are worried you can just go buy another female, let the tank cycle and be patient.  You need a VERY HEAVILY planted tank for the parents to not find the babies and I'm guessing you probably don't just because a heavily planted tank means there are plants just about everywhere.  Also don't get a breeder net, get a breeder box, you can buy these larger and are easier to clean since junk doens't get stuck in the net.  If you get one of these you can't leave the babies in there long, 2 weeks max as it will stunt there growth, your best bet is to take all the fake plants you have and stuff them in one corner close to each other and hope the babies are safe there until your five gallon is cycle, once it's cycled you can move the babies there.  Don't worry if you lose most of these babies, your females are 100% positive of producing probably 4-6 more times even if the male died.  If you have more questions just ask and leafgirl115 and I can help and give our opinions.  Remember this is just my opinion and you don't have to follow it, you can do what you want.

Austin

O that one plant I don't belive is fully aquatic the one with the silver on it, I may be wrong as butterfly, that is if it's real. As for plants it looks like you have some hornwort in there, java moss floating is also a great plant for them to hide in.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I find the breeder boxes bad. They dont alow that much water flow in. the net is cheap and very easy to clean. I let my females give berth in the tank and i scoop up the fry. this has worked for me as i now have 113 fry....

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok well around me the breeder boxes are bigger and only .50$ more expensive and I use a eyedropper to suck up the **** and they have long slits on the sides and bottom so plenty of flow goes through them, I guess it just depends on what your store sells and the brands. I raised a few babies in a breeder box and also some in a 2.5 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank and I found that the ones in the 10 and 2.5 gallon tanks grew faster and larger bigger tails then did the ones in the breeder box since it stunted their growth. But if that's your only option then it's ok as long as you don't have 113 in the boxes.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I dont have 113 in a box. I have them in a 20g.

I used a box the fist time (7 fry) and they escaped through the water slits. I had it all asembled corectly to!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
O that sucks on both of mine they have slits and they narrow down at the outside of the box so they can't get out, and mine come assembled that sucks I guess it just depends on your lfs. I didn't mean you had 113 in a box, i meant if you did you shouldn't but I didn't think you did just wanted to make sure. You sure do have an awful lot of fish in your tank though. You know your pleco will get too big right.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cool sounds like you got it all figured out. I had to give my guppies to whatsafish7 for his pirhanas since I didn't have room for more and if I gave them to my lfs I would be surprised if they got out of there alive and nobody else wanted them and they were feeder guppies to and there still alive swimming side by side with his pirhanas. Weird huh?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
no they haven't eaten them yet and they have been in there for almost two months now I think, it's very strange.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
I do have a breeder box, i could put femail in their when she has her babies , move them to 5 gallon tank when it has cycled. but when do i now , when she is ready to have them.
as i do not want to put her in breeder box for more than 2 days.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would put her in when she starts acting verry odd. Also when the male chases her non stop. Then place her in the box. only for a day if still no fry then take her out again.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sounds good i will take another picture of her today, and post it to this topic.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't put her in a breeder box. One because every time I tried it stressed her out and two you should move the female latest a week before she's going to have birth otherwise you might stress her out and she'l have birth problems. Just leave them all in the tank and keep an eye on her and when she is all of a sudden skinny look in your tank especially in the gravel for little babies swimming around. I did this and I got over 15 fry and that is with two adult angels in the tank too and they LOVE baby guppies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom