20 Gallon Tank pregnant what i assume to be a swordtail

fishyfishyfishy13
could someone please help me??? I have a female swordtail that looks like shes about ready to drop shes got the square shaped belly and everything its just that I don't want to put her in a breeding trap too early and stress her out.... (__/ that's pretty much the shape of her belly

ayelie
Welcome to fishlore.

If you could post of a picture of your lady swordtail that would be a lot of help.

fishyfishyfishy13
that should take you to my album that has a picture of her

ayelie
Looks to me that is shouldn't be to much longer but I don't know if it's time to put her into the breeder box. I think she should be a little more square, but it is kind of hard to see her.

Maybe someone that is into swordtails will come along and be more help. It's been a long time since I have seen a prego sword.

bass master
definitely pregnant, although I'm fairly certain that is a platy and not a swordtail. I haven't seen any swordtails with the "mickey mouse" coloring near the tail, but it is very common among platys. Also that dark spot behind the fish's stomach is called the gravid spot, its a sign that the female is indeed pregnant.

I'm not a huge fan of using breeding traps, I personally let mine grow up in the main tank and I have lots of plants and hiding spots where the fry can hide, although many do still get eaten. You can also put the female in a 5-10 gallon tank of her own that has plenty of hiding spaces and after she gives birth you can move the mom out and raise the fry in that tank. Breeding traps are just so confined and its so hard to know the exact day that the fish will give birth and you may end up having to leave the female in for quite a while. Yours does look like she will give birth in the next few days, though.

fishyfishyfishy13
I'm sorry for the bad picture I find it hard to take good pictures of my fish... thanks for the help though

jetajockey
yeah that's a mm platy, she looks pregnant but I don't know if she's ready to drop yet, you'll see more signs when she gets close, loss of appetite and hovering/breathing hard are some signs to look for.

ayelie
Oh I thought I just couldn't see the tail. But she still needs to doesn't look ready to me. She needs to be boxier

fishyfishyfishy13
I've done what I consider a decent amount of research on breeding fish... I have read about breeding traps and I don't really think that they are the best way to go about it I just wanted to try a few things and I am working on getting a breeding tank set up

jetajockey
yeah, breeding traps can be very stressful. I prefer giving them their own birthing tank, but a tank divider or a very large trap could do the trick also.

fishyfishyfishy13
I originaly thought that was a platy to... she was actually born in my tank so I really don't know for sure the thing is I don't have a male platy I only have a male swortail and guppy is it possible that they have cross breed? I also have read somewhere on the internet that swordtail females could change gender if there is a lack of males in the tank, is that possible what is happening here?

bass master
fishyfishyfishy13 said:
I originaly thought that was a platy to... she was actually born in my tank so I really don't know for sure the thing is I don't have a male platy I only have a male swortail and guppy is it possible that they have cross breed? I also have read somewhere on the internet that swordtail females could change gender if there is a lack of males in the tank, is that possible what is happening here?
yep, platys and swordtails readily interbreed. Although, most livebearers are capable of storing sperm and giving birth multiple times from one single mating. If your platy gave birth within the first few months of you having her, its very possible that she was still pregnant from a male platy at the pet store.

Ive heard some debate whether swordtails will actually change sex, I really don't know what to think. Ive no doubt seen multiple cases where a mature swordtail will appear female but suddenly grow some male parts, although Ive never had a proven fertile female change like that. It is very possible that some males just develop much later than others, and therefore appear to change sex.

fishyfishyfishy13
she has never been with a male platy she was born in my tank... I'm kind of proud of myself XD that is the first time I ever had a fry live long enough to mature

bass master
I meant the fish that gave birth to the fish in question, it is possible she was pregnant from a fish at the pet store it is, she could beeither pure platy or a swordtail/platy cross

fishyfishyfishy13
oh okay... back to the cross breeding subject, do you think it would be possible that a male guppy fertalized the female platy or platy/swordtail because my male swordtail keeps chasing after my female swordtail that I did buy at my local earl may at least 6 months ago and I noticed that the male guppy (who I think might be on his last leg =( ) is chasing after the platys

bass master
male guppies will try and mate anything that moves

its considered to be extremely unlikely for platys and guppies to crossbreed

fishyfishyfishy13
haha okay ill keep an eye on them probably put the platy in a breeding trap tonight just in case =s

Top Bottom