Pregnant Tiger Barb Question 

Littledragon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi. This is my first time ever having fish breed so i would like some advice. I have a tiger barb that's about... 3 Days pregnant. My tank is 55 gallons and its currently housing a total of 3 tiger barbs and a total of 3 goldfish. They are living together really nicely and are peaceful. Id just like to ask, will the gold fish eat the tiger barb fry/eggs? Also, if i move the tiger barbs, should i only move the male and female that mated? Or should i move all 3? Will the third eat the eggs/fry? The goldfish are Oranda Goldfish btw. 2 big ones and 1 little one. Are goldfish even carnivores? I doubt it. Just double checking.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I would recommend that the Tiger Barbs have a home of their own. These fish can be little fin nippers big time. Things may be ok now but that doesn't mean things will be ok down the road.

It isn't a good idea to house tropical fish, your barbs, with temperate fish, the goldfish. I know that goldfish will eat their own eggs so I would say they will eat the barbs' eggs too.

According to your profile information you are not aware of the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle which is crucial to fish keeping. Check out the link below and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask:
The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/goldfish-care-sheet.167762/
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Goldfish.htm

Tiger Barbs:
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-TigerBarb.htm

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile Information it will be a great help to others with their responses. You can access the Profile information by clicking on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM PROFILE INFORMATION.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Ken

Littledragon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay thanks. I'll be grabbing a new tank from my cousins to keep the barbs in for now.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tiger barbs lay eggs which are then fertilized, so technically they don't actually become pregnant. Any of your fish may eat the eggs, or the fry if you have any. Goldfish are omnivores. Drop some live mosquito lava in if you need convincing. They will love it.

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ive recently successfully bred my tigers. I have 8 in a community tank and I also have a 30 gallon breeding tank. They will def need to be separated from the gold fish. I'm pretty sure they need a warmer temp as well. To breed them your tank should be fairly small, with lots of plants, a flat bottom will help, or you could use marbles. I found that my female barb ate her eggs as soon as she laid them! It was very frustrating. You should condition your female and male barb with blood worms, or some kind of frozen food. When the female has a HUGE stomach you can put her in your breeding tank. Let her stay there alone a couple days and then introduce the male, if she is stressed she will not breed. It helps to have two females as well, yet again so she doesn't get stressed. Ive had this happen to me. It may take 4 or 5 times before your successful. It took me about 5 times. Oh and the temp should be around 80 degrees, it will help them get in the mood to breed.

tpayne01

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wow i have the same situation.. she has a huge belly and i don't know what to do

Please note that this poster has his own thread about his pregnant Barb.
Thanks!
Ken

mollyfanatic

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hmmm well you should no that they are hard 2 breed!!very that's wgatb i think my friend needs a male that's all!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads