Pregnant swordtail

Jo34

Hi all. Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, new to tall of this. I was wondering if anyone can please give me some advice. I think my swordtail is pregnant, but it's so hard to tell with the colour she is. She is considerably larger than my other female, which I noticed today after not seeing them for a few days as the tank is at my brother's house. Please can anyone give me some advice

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210510-192913.png
    Screenshot_20210510-192913.png
    791.9 KB · Views: 24

babyfish

Welcome to fishlore!
Yes she looks pregnant which is not a surprise, because livebearers get pregnant easily.
If you want to keep the fry, you could could get a breeder to keep the fry in temporarily.
It is important you don't put your pregnant fish in that though. If you do It will be much to stressful. If you don't want to keep fry, then just leave her alone and she'll be fine!
If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

Upvote 0

Jo34

Welcome to fishlore!
Yes she looks pregnant which is not a surprise, because livebearers get pregnant easily.
If you want to keep the fry, you could could get a breeder to keep the fry in temporarily.
It is important you don't put your pregnant fish in that though. If you do It will be much to stressful. If you don't want to keep fry, then just leave her alone and she'll be fine!
If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)
Hi, thank you for welcoming me and replying to me . Would I be ok moving her to a smaller tank I have so she is on her own, with plenty of plants for fry to hide in, as I would love to keep as many because they are so beautiful. Also Do you know if she looks like she might have them soon? My children are so excited, and I would like to monitor it the best way I can.

Upvote 0

babyfish

Before she has fry she will start to act differently, like hiding, staying still, etc
I would expect fry in about a week, but some fish hold on to them for as long as possible.... so you never can be sure. Have you noticed any difference in behavior?

As for moving, It really depends on the tank size! You can't put her in a tank to small ;)

Upvote 0

Jo34

Before she has fry she will start to act differently, like hiding, staying still, etc
I would expect fry in about a week, but some fish hold on to them for as long as possible.... so you never can be sure. Have you noticed any difference in behavior?

As for moving, It really depends on the tank size! You can't put her in a tank to small ;)
I noticed she wasn't as bothered about the food in the tank, and she isn't swimming around as much as the others. I will just keep a good eye on her and see if I notice any more differences. Thank you for helping me

Upvote 0

babyfish

I noticed she wasn't as bothered about the food in the tank, and she isn't swimming around as much as the others. I will just keep a good eye on her and see if I notice any more differences. Thank you for helping me
Good luck with the fry! Did you want to tell me the size of the tank you were thinking of moving her to? Moving her is a good idea but size is important!

(Edit) I just looked at that picture again and she looks really squared off, I'm actually thinking she'll deliver sooner, like in a day or two.

Upvote 0

Jo34

Good luck with the fry! Did you want to tell me the size of the tank you were thinking of moving her to? Moving her is a good idea but size is important!

(Edit) I just looked at that picture again and she looks really squared off, I'm actually thinking she'll deliver sooner, like in a day or two.
Thank you. Oh yes sorry that would be helpful wouldn't it. I have a 12 litre tank that has been used to quarantine fish in before that have been sick. Would that be ok for her with lots of plants and filter and heater?

Upvote 0

babyfish

Thank you. Oh yes sorry that would be helpful wouldn't it. I have a 12 litre tank that has been used to quarantine fish in before that have been sick. Would that be ok for her with lots of plants and filter and heater?
I think that would be OK for a little while.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Jo34

Thank you. I actually went out and bought a bigger tank for her a 19 litre one. So hopefully she will have plenty of room. Would you recommend a air pump aswell?
I think that would be OK for a little while.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0

babyfish

Thank you. I actually went out and bought a bigger tank for her a 19 litre one. So hopefully she will have plenty of room. Would you recommend a air pump aswell?
I wouldn't hurt to have an air pump! But its not necessary!
I see you care a lot about her, that's very sweet :)

Are you going to cycle it with your main tank water?

Upvote 0

Jo34

I wouldn't hurt to have an air pump! But its not necessary!
I see you care a lot about her, that's very sweet :)

Are you going to cycle it with your main tank water?
So I set up her new tank, with cycled water from her current tank, but now it doesn't even look like she's pregnant, she looks normal again. I don't get it

Attachments

• PXL_20210511_180020052.jpg
    PXL_20210511_180020052.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210511_180932869.jpg
    PXL_20210511_180932869.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

babyfish

So I set up her new tank, with cycled water from her current tank, but now it doesn't even look like she's pregnant, she looks normal again. I don't get it
Oh no! Hurry to your main tank, and try to spot some fry! Go get the kids ;)

She probably already had them.... But don't worry they store sperm, so there is a very high chance she will be pregnant again very soon.

Upvote 0

Jo34

Oh no! Hurry to your main tank, and try to spot some fry! Go get the kids ;)

She probably already had them.... But don't worry they store sperm, so there is a very high chance she will be pregnant again very soon.
We can't find any fry ☹️. It must have all happened so quickly! Shall I leave her on her own for a little while still? Fingers crossed we will get a suprise at some point soon.

Upvote 0

Valleriani

Moving only water doesn't make the new tank cycle. Most of the BB will come from the filter. If you just moved water I would move her back ASAP, as you'll end up probably hurting her with ammonia from an uncycled tank.

Water does almost nothing for BB.

Fry are hard to see to start. Sometimes I don't realize I have a fry or two until a week or two goes by because they are good at hiding. They need good hiding spots though, otherwise they'll be eaten quickly. Fish love them as snacks.

Upvote 0

babyfish

We can't find any fry ☹. It must have all happened so quickly! Shall I leave her on her own for a little while still? Fingers crossed we will get a suprise at some point soon.
I would take her out and put her in your main tank, she probably misses her friends.

And don't feel to bad I have a 29g livebearer tank, and sometimes I will have a pregnant molly in there. I wake up, and she is suddenly back to normal, and then sadly I can't find any fry.... But the next day.... thats when they start showing up!

Upvote 0

Valleriani

I would take her out and put her in your main tank, she probably misses her friends.

And don't feel to bad I have a 29g livebearer tank, and sometimes I will have a pregnant molly in there. I wake up, and she is suddenly back to normal, and then sadly I can't find any fry.... But the next day.... thats when they start showing up!

Hehe they are super sneaky ;) While I was redoing my tank this week I found one. I was trying to move all the shrimp and suddenly I saw a little white fry staring at me. Kinda a pity I had to move her but shes safe now. She's in a breed box now with some plants/etc. I had no clue one of my platies were pregnant. It was a couple months since I bought one to replace my platy that lived around 3 years, so unexpected.

Upvote 0

babyfish

Moving only water doesn't make the new tank cycle. Most of the BB will come from the filter. If you just moved water I would move her back ASAP, as you'll end up probably hurting her with ammonia from an uncycled tank.

Water does almost nothing for BB.

Fry are hard to see to start. Sometimes I don't realize I have a fry or two until a week or two goes by because they are good at hiding. They need good hiding spots though, otherwise they'll be eaten quickly. Fish love them as snacks.
I agree with this, my mistake for not adding this in sonner.

Hehe they are super sneaky ;) While I was redoing my tank this week I found one. I was trying to move all the shrimp and suddenly I saw a little white fry staring at me. Kinda a pity I had to move her but shes safe now. She's in a breed box now with some plants/etc. I had no clue one of my platies were pregnant. It was a couple months since I bought one to replace my platy that lived around 3 years, so unexpected.

I'm glad he's safe! Their little faces are so cute, and so innocent!

Upvote 0

Jo34

Thank you for your help. I will put her back in the main tank. And keep a look out for any fry. Hopefully they are just hiding
So I've just put her back in the main tank. My male is already after her again! Haha. He is very handsome tho . But my other female looks very withdrawn. She has clamped finns. AMD doesn't look happy, do you have any advice please? So sorry for the millions of questions. But I'm fairly new to this and want to try and do everything the best way possible.

Attachments

• PXL_20210511_195403717.jpg
    PXL_20210511_195403717.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

babyfish

Thank you for your help. I will put her back in the main tank. And keep a look out for any fry. Hopefully they are just hiding
Yes they probably are hiding, I hope you find them !
She should get pregnant again very soon. If I were you I would get to work on cycling that new tank you got, so it’s ready for her in the future. Good luck :)

Upvote 0

Jo34

Yes they probably are hiding, I hope you find them !
She should get pregnant again very soon. If I were you I would get to work on cycling that new tank you got, so it’s ready for her in the future. Good luck :)
Thank you. Will keep you updated if I find any fry!

Upvote 0

babyfish

Thank you. Will keep you updated if I find any fry!
Ok sounds great! If she gets pregnant again, you should update with that as well :)

Upvote 0

Jo34

Oh I definitely will!

Upvote 0

FishyFanatic86

So I've just put her back in the main tank. My male is already after her again! Haha. He is very handsome tho . But my other female looks very withdrawn. She has clamped finns. AMD doesn't look happy, do you have any advice please? So sorry for the millions of questions. But I'm fairly new to this and want to try and do everything the best way possible.
Was your male chasing her around when you removed the plausible preg female? It's possible she's a bit stressed.

Upvote 0

babyfish

Clamped fins is a sign of a a stressed fish, and you don’t want a stressed fish. It wouldn’t hurt to do a water change, and check your parameters.

Upvote 0

Jo34

Was your male chasing her around when you removed the plausible preg female? It's possible she's a bit stressed.
I'm honestly not sure, as the main tank is at my brother's house at the moment. He only lives a few doors away, so I'm going round this morning to check, I go round twice a day usually to check on them, but if she still looks like that would you recommend removing her to give her time to recover?

Upvote 0

FishyFanatic86

I'm honestly not sure, as the main tank is at my brother's house at the moment. He only lives a few doors away, so I'm going round this morning to check, I go round twice a day usually to check on them, but if she still looks like that would you recommend removing her to give her time to recover?
Idk if that would help because she may get more stressed from the change. If your male to female ratio is low, she may have very well been harassed while the other female was gone. However I'd definitely check water parameters first. Adding the preg one back to the tank will definitely help with the ratio and give the male someone else to chase for a bit instead.

Upvote 0

Jo34

Idk if that would help because she may get more stressed from the change. If your male to female ratio is low, she may have very well been harassed while the other female was gone. However I'd definitely check water parameters first. Adding the preg one back to the tank will definitely help with the ratio and give the male someone else to chase for a bit instead.
I went round this morning, and the tank seemed to be back to its happy normal self. All fish seemed happy and swimming around. Which is really good, as I put the pregnant one back in last night. I'm just going to go and check on them again now.
I have 2 female swordtails and 1 male. Do I have enough females do you think?

Upvote 0

babyfish

I went round this morning, and the tank seemed to be back to its happy normal self. All fish seemed happy and swimming around. Which is really good, as I put the pregnant one back in last night. I'm just going to go and check on them again now.
I have 2 female swordtails and 1 male. Do I have enough females do you think?
Yes you have enough. I don't think she was getting harassed, but It is possible. What are your water parameters?

Upvote 0

Jo34

Yes you have enough. I don't think she was getting harassed, but It is possible. What are your water parameters?
My parameters seem ok. I hope I explain right pH is 6.8. NO3/ NO2 is 0
CL is 0. If that makes sense to you? I'm sorry I'm not good at explaining. My husband checks to water for me.
Also I'm with the fish now. She's clamped again, but not as much as yesterday. And I don't think she is pregnant but because of the colour it's hard to tell.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-191840.png
    Screenshot_20210512-191840.png
    499.7 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

babyfish

My parameters seem ok. I hope I explain right pH is 6.8. NO3/ NO2 is 0
CL is 0. If that makes sense to you? I'm sorry I'm not good at explaining. My husband checks to water for me.
Also I'm with the fish now. She's clamped again, but not as much as yesterday. And I don't think she is pregnant but because of the colour it's hard to tell.
OK, then maybe she was just harassed.... Do her fins look chewed up at all? If they do aquarium salt might help with the healing.

Upvote 0

Jo34

She seems to have a large hole in her tail. I'll attach a picture. The male does seem to be harassing both females abit.
I have glass shrimp In my tank, will the salt harm them?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-191840.png
    Screenshot_20210512-191840.png
    499.7 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0

babyfish

She seems to have a large hole in her tail. I'll attach a picture. The male does seem to be harassing both females abit.
I have glass shrimp In my tank, will the salt harm them?
I've never had shrimp, and I doubt I ever will. So I know close to nothing about them. I tried researching it, and got mixed awnsers maybe ask FishyFanatic86 or Valleriani

I tagged them so hopefully they will see this...

Upvote 0

Jo34

I've never had shrimp, and I doubt I ever will. So I know close to nothing about them. I tried researching it, and got mixed awnsers maybe ask FishyFanatic86 or Valleriani

Thank you so much. Just don't like seeing her like that. They are usually so happy. She's eating fine. Just looks abit with drawn.

Upvote 0

babyfish

Thank you so much. Just don't like seeing her like that. They are usually so happy. She's eating fine. Just looks abit with drawn.
If its harassment, it wouldn't hurt to get another female. But I understand if you are not able to do this.

Upvote 0

Jo34

If its harassment, it wouldn't hurt to get another female. But I understand if you are not able to do this.
I could potentially get another female to put into the tank. It may help with the situation. If things don't improve,maybe that's the road I should go down.

Upvote 0

FishyFanatic86

If the female wasn't in the tank then there was only 1f and 1m at the time the fish started to display symptoms of stress. But yes that's a good normal ratio. I personally have 4:1 because I notice it's less stressful.

Upvote 0

Jo34

If the female wasn't in the tank then there was only 1f and 1m at the time the fish started to display symptoms of stress. But yes that's a good normal ratio. I personally have 4:1 because I notice it's less stressful.
No they have been so happy in that tank together. Then I just noticed how withdrawn she looked yesterday, probably has been quite stressful for her with just herself and the male. I'm hoping things will settle soon. If she still looks like that by the weekend would you recommend I get a other female? Or remove both females for a little while?

Upvote 0

FishyFanatic86

So I did some research and ghost/glass shrimp can survive in brackish water, as such, a treatment amount shouldn't harm the shrimp at all. Biggest issue is ppm amount and eggs. But if not breeding a treatment amount is OK.
I could potentially get another female to put into the tank. It may help with the situation. If things don't improve,maybe that's the road I should go down.
I'd add one for sure if it's feasible to do!
Another option, which probably isn't as feasible as just adding another female, Is to set up another cycled aquarium and transfer your male to that aquarium until you are ready for him to inseminate your females. Chances are your females are well inseminated already. However that's a lot more work and expense than just buying another female and hoping that helps.

Upvote 0

Jo34

Thank you so much. I have been trying to read up on the aquarium salt, but was struggling to find a clear answer. I think I will invest in some and treat the tank. What do you mean by ppm amount?
I think I will go to my local fish shop this weekend and get another female and hope it helps make a difference. I don't have any more room for tanks in my house as my children each have a tank with platys and guppy's in. So hopefully a new female will work.

Upvote 0

babyfish

Yes, Its just the two of them weren't alone for to long, and I figured they had hiding spots.... But chasing/nipping still could occur. Some males are more aggressive then others, so its really about their personality. My male platy will never chase any females he's pretty shy like that. haha

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fishboy32
Replies
Views
Jo34
  • Question
30 Gallon Tank Swordtail Pregnant?
Replies