Pregnant Swordtail...

madrizzo

Reaction score
i recently purchased a pregnant green swordtail. i've tried keeping her in a breeding tank but she got really aggressive and started hurting herself so i decided to buy a 1.5 gallon tank until she delivers her fry. i'm not sure how long she's been pregnant. what are the signs that she's about to go into labor? and should i keep the male with the female during this time? ??? ???

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do not keep the male with your female. It will constantly chase the female and tire her out (which is not good because she needs all of her energy.) Her stomach will kind of look like a square when you look down at her from above.

madrizzo

Reaction score
Since your response my pregnant swordtail hasn't given birth to her fry. She's been alone in a separate tank to keep her calm and safe. Her belly and 'black spot' on her belly is getting bigger. I've been told that before she gives birth that she will stay on the bottom of the tank a lot and only come up for feedings. Is there any other unusual behavior I should be looking out for? ???

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My pregnant guppies always stay near the top. She may also act weird. She will act less active. How long has she been pregnant?

madrizzo

Reaction score
My swordtail FINALLY gave birth to her fry.  But she only had 3 fry.  Is this normal?  I was expecting more.  Her belly is still black and but not as large.  I know they can still be pregnant and continue to store sperm for another delivery.  I haven't removed her from the tank with the fry.  Should I let her mingle with my other community fish?  ??? ??? ???

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She could give another batch of frys within the next 2 days. Stay alert. I would not keep the pregnant female with other fish (including fry since she might eat them). Mine gave birth to 24 batch the first time and 20 the second time. Maybe yours ate a few young ones.

madrizzo

Reaction score
It's been almost 7 days since my swordtail gave birth to her fry - only 3. I'm keeping a close eye on her and her belly is getting big again. Hopefully the next batch will be the remainder. Will she give birth to more fry a third consecutive time? ???

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Females ussually give birth to little numbers of fry, but will increase after her first or second time.

madrizzo

Reaction score
It's been 3 weeks since my Swordtail gave birth to 3 fry. She's still pregnant. Should I be concerned on how long its taking her to give birth again ??? ??? ???

madrizzo

Reaction score
Well I don't need to worry about my pregnant swordtail anymore. She gave birth to about 6-8 stillborn fry the other day. I not sure why she miscarried, but I put her back in my 50 gal. tank with my community fish. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. Any suggestions would really help... ???

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom