Pregnant Swordtail?

Jakedv17

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My swordtail has been pregnant for almost a month 1/2.... I got her and the father at a fish auction as a pair. She has been pregnant since then and still hasn't had her babies. I've had the tank set up for about 3 months now. I have an Angelfish, an Albino Rainbow Shark, 2 female swordtails, and 1 male swordtail. Today I also added 5 female guppies and 3 male guppies. All of my fish get along just fine, even the Rainbow Shark and he is by far the largest fish in the tank. It is a 20 gallon tank with great water quality.

Here are some pictures:

The male is a "Fancy Swordtail."
MaleSword.jpeg

Pregnant Female.
smallsword3.JPG
Smallsword1.jpeg

I am new to fish breeding so if someone could help me out it would be great! My step dad got me in to fish- he built a 375 gallon fish tank and made the stand for it himself. He has some monster cichlids in there. He has never bred any swordtails before so him and I are both clueless on when the fish will have the babies. I currently have it in a breeding net ( I put her in it yesterday).
Anyone have an idea on when my fish will have its fry?

***Sorry about the pictures being sideways.. Took them on my iPhone.

Last edited:

JoshM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It will take about another 1 or 2 weeks. But your swordtail is definitely pregnant.

Jakedv17

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I googled how long the pregnancy should be and it said about a month.... It did mention though that sometimes it will be longer due to a large amount of fry that still has to be developed. That might be the reason why she hasn't had the babies yet. So Lots of babies for me I guess.

shelleyd2008

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What color is she? I have a green spot female that has looked pregnant for at least 2 months. She's not (or at least wasn't, though she could be now), she just has a very noticeable gravid spot. The gravid spot doesn't necessarily indicate pregnancy, some fish that have lighter/thinner skin in that area just show it better.

Jakedv17

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
She is light orange. But I am pretty sure she is pregnant. Her stomach is huge.

shelleyd2008

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's possible that she wasn't when you got her but is now. She should get a 'boxish' appearance a few days before she's ready to have them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom