pregnant rosie barb!!!

Nicola

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
someone please help. I have a preggers rosie barb, well I think, as she is very fat - in fact twice as wide as my other one. I thought they were both females!! I have put her in a plastic breeding tank on her own as she was hiding away above the filter. now I don't know what to do as I don't understand how the breeding process with barbs works. does the male need to fertilize the eggs?? please help as I think she may be getting stressed and the other barb is trying to get to her ???
 

Patchspud

Active Member
Member
Messages
77
Reaction score
1
Location
Manchester, England
HI There. The two barbs need to be together. He will display to her to entice her to release her eggs and then he will fertilize them as she lays them. They must then be removed from the eggs or they will eat them. She won't perform in a breeding box. They need room and plants of plants or she will just keep hold of her eggs until the time is right for her.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
N

Nicola

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Patchspud said:
HI There. The two barbs need to be together. He will display to her to entice her to release her eggs and then he will fertilize them as she lays them. They must then be removed from the eggs or they will eat them. She won't perform in a breeding box. They need room and plants of plants or she will just keep hold of her eggs until the time is right for her.
thanks for your help, I decided to let her out of the breeding box as she didn't seem very happy. so now I guess I will have to wait and see what happens!! fingers crossed I might save some. I do have another tank that I could put her in but it has no heater, so she will have to stay where she is for the moment. thanks again.
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
22,850
Reaction score
125
Location
Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicola I believe from one of your other posts you listed a bunch of other fish. They will also eat the eggs. It's very hard to get egg layers/scatters to have surviving fry with others in the tank with them.
Carol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
N

Nicola

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Butterfly said:
Nicola I believe from one of your other posts you listed a bunch of other fish. They will also eat the eggs. It's very hard to get egg layers/scatters to have surviving fry with others in the tank with them.
Carol
thanks carol. I don't think she is quite ready yet so I will transfer the barbs into a different tank at the weekend as soon as I have bought another heater, then see how she gets on from there
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
22,850
Reaction score
125
Location
Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool, they will probably need some plants to scatter their eggs in also.
Carol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
N

Nicola

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Butterfly said:
Cool, they will probably need some plants to scatter their eggs in also.
Carol
will do ;D
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
225
Guests online
3,304
Total visitors
3,529

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom