Pregnant Red Velvet Swordtail?

MamaKittyLove

Reaction score
I'm no professional in fish. I've only had my aquarium for 6 months, so I obviously know nothing about breeding.

Just going by pictures, does Charlotte look pregnant?

This is her sister Ruby, for size comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lots of bushy plants (artificial or real, makes no difference) some floating, some on the bottom, will give them places to hide. My platy fry either go to the surface or hide right on the bottom, so that's probably your best bet.

MamaKittyLove

Reaction score
Lots of bushy plants (artificial or real, makes no difference) some floating, some on the bottom, will give them places to hide. My platy fry either go to the surface or hide right on the bottom, so that's probably your best bet.
Oh okay great! Our tank already has a lot of plants and hiding places, probably wouldn't be a problem thank you!
Oh! How long do Swordtails usually stay pregnant for? So I can keep an eye on her.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If they're the same as other livebearers (I have platies and guppies) it's usually around a month.

My other idea for fry safety (which I myself haven't tried as I get like, 80 fry as it is every month) is to make a box out of craft mesh hooked together with zip ties. Cut a dozen or so little holes (only slightly larger than the ones in it already, big enough for fry but too small for adults) in it, cut a larger hole in the bottom so you can get them out when you're ready, stick a rock inside to weight it down. My theory is that the fry will find it and go inside as they're excellent at finding hidey holes, but the grown ups can't get to them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom