Pregnant Platys

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by nicolepdurkee, Apr 24, 2017.

1. nicolepdurkee

nicolepdurkee New Member Member

Hello,

I found two baby platys in my old tank and I had no idea I had any female platys. I was told they were all males. Apparently not. I've attached a couple pics of other fish who I think may be pregnant, but not positive. Please help lol

Sorry if the photos aren't clear. They are swimming extremely fast today and right by the filter.

Attached Files:

2. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

you definitely have some females. females are fat and have a fan shaped anal fin and have a dark spot near the anal pore when gravid. males are skinnier and have a pointy pencil anal fin that can rotate forward at will.

3. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

Thank you. Can you tell from any of the pics I posted, if any of them are pregnant?

4. Kasshan

I don't even have to look. they all are guaranteed holding sperm if you have genders mixed and can have babies for up to a year without a male I think

5. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

Oh my god! That is why I asked for all males. Uuugghhhh. Thank you for your help :)

6. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

Sorry to bug you. So below are two different platys and I'm trying to figure out if these are pregnant females.

The darker one I couldn't find easily today. Was hiding in one of our bushy plants.

Attached Files:

7. Kasshan

both are pregnant. notice the fan shaped anal fin. and they have very fat bellies. water changes induce birth. but they can dump babies honestly whenever they feel like. males have a pencil-like anal fin

8. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

Thank you So now we wait for babies lol if they survive. We have a few floating plants that are pretty bushy and a ginormous plant on the bottom of the tank.

9. Kasshan

do u have a predator. or will u be raising a platy colony

10. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

We have a couple Congo tetras, two guorami's, and a few bottom feeders.

We had all of these fish in our smaller tank and then we upgraded to a bigger tank. I had found baby platys that survived when I was transferring everything over.

11. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

Those babies are in a separate holding tank until they get big enough. Their eyeballs are almos bigger then their whole bodies lol

12. Kasshan

clever babies then. and well fed lazy predators. they would not chase babies unless it is front of their face I bet. skipping a feeding for day can encourage them to be not quite so lazy

13. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

And we haven't had any issues with these fish being mixed together. They tend to stick to themselves. I asked before I bought any of them and then double checked before i introduced new ones.

14. Kasshan

oh ye. all yur fish are compatible. no worries

15. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

Would the congos and guoramis be the predators? I feed them once a day at night. I found following the directions on the bottle left a lot of uneaten food on the bottom and it was so gross and was turning into slimy sludge.

16. Kasshan

you are feeding correctly. and ye the congos gourami and platy parents would snack on a baby given the chance and if hungry enough.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  17. OP
    OP
    nicolepdurkee

Thank you very much for all of your help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice