Pregnant Platy?

Kaylah

I grew up seeing pregnant Molly's but never a platy. First question is does our platy look pregnant or just fat? And second, should she be going into a breeder box or do we have some time? This photo was 3 days ago (Dang its hard to get photos of fish )

Attachments

• 20210713_095638.jpg
    20210713_095638.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210713_095900.jpg
    20210713_095900.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 29

devilson

she has that box like shape. so congrats yes she is carrying? (lol pregnant isnt a term for livebeares)
is she isolating herself from the others? trying to be alone from all the other fish? is she eating food?

Upvote 0

Kaylah

she has that box like shape. so congrats yes she is carrying? (lol pregnant isnt a term for livebeares)
is she isolating herself from the others? trying to be alone from all the other fish? is she eating food?
Thanks! I am such a newbie to this but it's super exciting. She still swimming around as normal I would say and still eating. Should I wait till she isn't doing those to put her in a breeder box? The box we have connects to an air pump so she's getting fresh filtered water in the box.

Upvote 0

devilson

dont move her yet i dont have experience in the platy section but i have bred guppies in the past and breeding them is pretty much the same. i used to move mine when she would isolate herself and not too much interested in food anymore

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

i agree, ive also(acidentaly) breed guppies, and they ,same with all livebearers, will devope a dark spot nere there analfin, when it get super vibrant its only a copule days till birth what i do(do to not interctly breeding) is wake up one day to see 2 or 3 fry in the tank (normal for my fish) catch them then raise them. or let the moms sinse she wont actully eat them(nor the dads) and this is bad news for my now overstocked tank.

Upvote 0

devilson

i agree, ive also(acidentaly) breed guppies, and they ,same with all livebearers, will devope a dark spot nere there analfin, when it get super vibrant its only a copule days till birth what i do(do to not interctly breeding) is wake up one day to see 2 or 3 fry in the tank (normal for my fish) catch them then raise them. or let the moms sinse she wont actully eat them(nor the dads) and this is bad news for my now overstocked tank.
i disagree with the last bit u were only left with 2 or 3 fry cause the rest majority were eaten by the other adult guppies. if u seperate the female in time and return her to the main tank after she lays u could be left with 20-200 frys

Upvote 0

Jragan23

I grew up seeing pregnant Molly's but never a platy. First question is does our platy look pregnant or just fat? And second, should she be going into a breeder box or do we have some time? This photo was 3 days ago (Dang its hard to get photos of fish )
Yeah I agree with the others I think she’s pregnant! I don’t think you should worry about moving her yet. Mine looked like she was about to give birth for weeks until she finally did! First birth I put them in a breeder box and left some out in the tank. The ones out in the tank did WAAAY better! As long as you have lots of places for them to hide I would just leave her out in the tank. If some get eaten that’s ok, because she’ll probably have another batch next month and so on and you don’t want too many fish. Hope that was helpful!

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

i disagree with the last bit u were only left with 2 or 3 fry cause the rest majority were eaten by the other adult guppies. if u seperate the female in time and return her to the main tank after she lays u could be left with 20-200 frys
my guppies dont eat the young cause i raised them areoung mix age. and even when i caught the mom a day before birth shes only ever had 2-3

Upvote 0

Kaylah

Here she is this morning. Idk maybe I'm looking at her too much but she looks less pregnant? she was in the breeder box already when I originally posted but I let her free this morning.

Attachments

• 20210717_121433.jpg
    20210717_121433.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210717_121431.jpg
    20210717_121431.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210717_121427.jpg
    20210717_121427.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210717_121236.jpg
    20210717_121236.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Lynn Klaus

You can actually see the fish start moving inside! That is when I would isolate but you never know cause conditions might not be right so they will not give birth!

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Preggo but the phenotype tells me that we're dealing with a female swordtail and not a platy. But both are in the same genus. She doesn't have to large for a swordtail. But the bodyshape says swordtail. Even the lateral line she shows belongs to a swordtail and not to a platy.

Upvote 0

NickTheFish007

She looks like shes on her way! i breed platys and the best thing way to keep the babies without a breeding box is to

a mixture of large leaf plants that will stretch and cover some space whilst having some grass at the bottom of the tank. babies will either go to the service of the tank or stay at the bottom. so you want to have the bottom covered and the top too so they are safe with whatever side they decide to go to.

if you dont have live plants, get some small caves that only the babies can really fit into with wee nooks and crannys.

Also! once she is pregnant, she is gonna keep giving birth for a good while. so you may get a good few babies!

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kaylah
Replies
Views
LawSkool
Replies
Views
Isalie