Pregnant platy

MomOfLiveBearers

This is a rescue. She was so stressed when I found her and I was worried she was holding fry due to the conditions she was in. So i adopted her. She seems quite calm now and generally happy, however she has chewed food just to spit it out and i noticed her flash her belly against the gravel. I have had platy pregnancies but have not had one ever get this large. Water parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 2.5 ish. Is thia behavior typical of pregnancy?
20200821_143823_HDR.jpg
20200822_174640_HDR.jpg

Crimson_687

As if balloon mollies weren’t bad enough, balloon platies have also become a thing for some reason. Do you know if she might be a balloon platy?

As for the food, it may not be what she’s used to and she’s just testing it out. It may take her a few days for her to get used to a new food.

As for the flashing, watch out for if she seems irritated by something or signs of sickness otherwise. If you see her scratching that’s a red flag. Look for any signs of odd growth, or even signs of internal infections, like swelling, redness, inflamed anus, or white stringy poo

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

As if balloon mollies weren’t bad enough, balloon platies have also become a thing for some reason. Do you know if she might be a balloon platy?

As for the food, it may not be what she’s used to and she’s just testing it out. It may take her a few days for her to get used to a new food.

As for the flashing, watch out for if she seems irritated by something or signs of sickness otherwise. If you see her scratching that’s a red flag. Look for any signs of odd growth, or even signs of internal infections, like swelling, redness, inflamed anus, or white stringy poo
Honestly I don't know if she's a balloon platy or not. I found her at a local fish store I had never been to and I couldn't leave her there. there were no other balloon platies in the tank and they told me that she was very very pregnant but due to her coloring I can't see any gravid spot. she's not clenching her fins I haven't noticed any other signs of sickness I'm not sure what's going on with her. She isn't being aggressive with any of the other fish and swims out and about with everybody else. since I didn't even know balloon platys were a thing I'm not sure if maybe she's that or if she's actually pregnant

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

Ok, I contacted the store I purchased her from. They said while they have had balloon platys in the past, but they have not had any in quite some time and are 95% sure she is pregnant and not a balloon. So I have removed carbon and treated for flukes because her flashing has increased. Since there are no other visible signs of illness I am going to proceed as if it were parasitic. Im treating the whole tank since it could have spread.

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

Well I just caught 40 fry in her tank. Don't know how many are still hiding or got eaten. I am pretty sure they are Phoenix's but she is just barely smaller. So either shes not done birthing or shes a big girl lol.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nishadhi
Replies
Views
My Betta Moonstone
Replies
Views
danefrnds
Replies