Pregnant Platy?

Jessiejnumberonefan

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

A friend got me some fish a few days ago, and this fish came to me (she’s called Martine) looking like this but a few days ago tha blackness in her bells and on her fin was a lot fainter and she was slimmer but still a lol chunky. Does she look pregnant to you? If so, should I start thinking about separating her from the other fish in the tank?
Thank you x
4EA8ED2A-97BF-4695-9B69-CC08E322A72E.png

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd wait a couple days till she gets bigger to separate her because it's very stressful for a fish to be in a breeder box, if by chance you have one (i think they are really cheap) if not put her in her own tank and try to take her out before she eats all her fry... with that being said, yes. I definitely think shes pregnant!

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the fish isn't 3from your own personal stock that you have monitored, it's almost always safe to assume livebearers are "pregnant" when you get them from a fish store. And what i mean by that, is they will almost always have a few stored sperm packets to use to make themselves pregnant.
As far as seperation is concerned, i wouldn't bother with it terrible unless you want some severely overstocked tanks in a short amount of time. They aren't too known to eat their young, but they will eat just about anything.

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MrBryan723 said:
it's almost always safe to assume livebearers are "pregnant" when you get them from a fish store.
This is a good point, I can't tell you how many times I've seen, or read about ;) , this happening.

New Threads