Help Pregnant Platy?

FaeBlackfyre

Reaction score
So I recently got my son a 10gal tank. Pandemic made for a poor birthday so we wanted to try and make it a little more special and I've had bettas so I decided to try out a different kind of fish. Ended up getting platys. Now I was originally given one Male and one female and after learning abit more about them, figured it didnt matter if I returned the male or not seeing as females could already be pregnant when purchased, so I went and got two more female platys.

I've noticed recently they're looking about round and I cant really tell if they are pregnant or not. I guess I'm just kind of curious as to what I should expect if they are, or if they're bloated or if this is just how they normally look. This is my first time with this kind of fish and with a fish that reproduces the way they do

Attachments

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do look pregnant, the orange and yellow looks slightly further along but none of them look like they're about to pop right now :)

OP
FaeBlackfyre

FaeBlackfyre

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
They do look pregnant, the orange and yellow looks slightly further along but none of them look like they're about to pop right now :)
The orange and yellow female is MASSIVE. The pictures really dont do her size justice. She instantly popped once I added her to the tank.
The original 2 were the Sunset Wags but the female was hiding alot which lead me into actually doing some research into them and then I went and purchased the two gold females. The wag female and the smaller gold female only recently started to look bigger but other orange and yellow female has been like that since I got her which was April 30th I think.

So I got the sunset wag male and female April 28th and then the two orange and yellow females April 30th

SawyerDawn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely look pregnant! I have three platies, four if you count one fry I saved :) They have babies all the time, I've heard that platies have children very often. If you want the children, make sure to get a fry net/cup because the parents will eat the babies!!

New Threads