Pregnant Platy????

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Could you look at this picture of one of my female platys. I know the picture isn't brilliant so I'll try and describe the changes in her which lead me to the presumption that she may be pregnant.

I have noticed her under belly become more rounded over a period of about two weeks and over the last two days or so she has become rounded at the sides as well. She is acting normally yet but one of the male platys is showing a lot more interest in her.

If she is pregnant, can anyone advise when to separate her so I don't loose her fry in the main tank. She is not a fish I can see through like a guppy and her colouration is quite strong so it doesn't make things easy.

She is the fish in the center of the picture with the black and orange colouration

Thanks for any comments

Heather

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi Heather, From your picture it does look like she might be prego. It is hard to tell when they are colored in the analfin area. You can tell by her getting really fat like she is going to pop. They get a gravid spot that you might be able to see. That is a black looking spot by the analfin. when she is ready to have babies they tend to start hanging out at the bottom of the tank looking for a place to have them. Wait for carol to answer she might have some more info for you. Good luck.

Heidi

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Heidi. I'll keep a close eye on her movements. Wish me and her luck!!

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
cheek the tank every once and a wile if she has some fry you should see them at the bottom of the tank or in the plants.

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. I separated her and she got bigger and bigger. Turned into a pine cone and died yesterday. :'( Someone said that it may be dropsy. None of my other fish of any species are affected. If you have any other theories I'd be happy to learn more.

spandex

Reaction score
my plat was prego for around 6 weeks, i was thinking she was just fat.
put her in a breeding net, as i was thinking she was sick and the next day (today) she popped out almost 40+ fry :O
i found she had a white dot at yer A hole, and she was poo'ing white. thats why i was thinking she was sick
but i was mistaken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom