Pregnant Platy?

Courtney Moreau

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So first off, sorry I don't have a better picture, so I have this platy (who I was told is a female but I can't tell so this could all be for not) anyways she is alone in my 10 g now, the others died but she is doing great! I did have one male before but it has been less than a month since I got her and I know it's possible she could be Pregnant. I wonder because I thought I saw something in my tank earlier swimming around but I could not find it after. Any input?

Attachments

Courtney Moreau

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay so what do I do? She's already in her own tank, do I need to keep her away from the fry? Do o need more plants? I'm so new to this

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Courtney Moreau said:
Okay so what do I do? She's already in her own tank, do I need to keep her away from the fry? Do o need more plants? I'm so new to this
I would just keep lots of live plants in the tank for the fry to hide in. Plants also provide a buffet for the fry. Most likely the mom wont eat her offspring, but it happens on occasion, especially if shes exceptionally hungry etc.

RYRYTHEGUY

Valued Member
Reaction score
fjh said:
I would just keep lots of live plants in the tank for the fry to hide in. Plants also provide a buffet for the fry. Most likely the mom wont eat her offspring, but it happens on occasion, especially if shes exceptionally hungry etc.
True. LOL

Courtney Moreau

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so if i get more plants a hiding spots they should be okay? no need for a breeding box of any kind? i would like to keep the fry if possible. i currently feed my fish every other day, should i feed her more often now?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i would put as many palnts as possible, also if t all possible, rmove her nd seperate her from fry once born. or do what i did and add lots of plants and she will cull the slow and week, the strong and fast will servive. to give you an ide, i left my fry in same tank with mom and dad. started with 30 only ended up with 8. bu thats a good number if you dont plan o breed and sell

edit to add: sorrry i didnt refresh page and see all the others answered this for you already lol

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
To piggy back on this am I correct that my platy is also pregnant? Also does she look close to having the babies? She is alone on a 20g with 2 snails so I'm just gonna wait and see what happens

Here is the pic

Attachments

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Photobelle said:
To piggy back on this am I correct that my platy is also pregnant? Also does she look close to having the babies? She is alone on a 20g with 2 snails so I'm just gonna wait and see what happens

Here is the pic
i would say yes yyours is pregnant as well. i am not 100% sure but very close to it. i would make sure you have plants, real is best, but fake is fine and works just the same, then let her have babies and she will eat some, but you dont want 30 platys in a 20 gllon tank lol

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
unless of course you do lol, but prpare to loose some if you keep mom in tank. i started with 30 and have 8 that made it. most were eaten right away, then they snatched one here, and one there. now i have 9 guppys. the dad, and 8 babies. mom unfortunatly didnt make it. platys wil behave just as my guppys did, its a liveberror thing

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom