Pregnant Platy??

Starlyn M Berry

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A couple months ago, I bought a new female platy for the tank in my bedroom. When I bought her I suspected she might be pregnant already because she was pretty chunky. I've kept a close eye on her since I brought her home and nothing. Well, a couple days ago, I saw a little fry swimming around my tank. After watching the tank for a good half an hour, I figured it was the only one. However, today, I found another little fry. While its sibling is a bright golden orange with black fins like mom, the second is half the size and kind of see through? Don't know if that's normal.

I guess my question is, how long does it take platys to give birth? My female doesn't seem to be hiding, comes up to the top with the other two when they see me, and is eating perfectly fine. I know platys have a tendency to eat their young, but my adults tend to stay toward the top of the tank while my (now two) fry tend to stay hidden near the bottom.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It usually only takes hours up to a day. It's a lot of work giving birth, as we can all likely imagine!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom