Pregnant Platy?

1. Daylight Member Member

So I just found one little fry hanging around one of my java ferns and I was wondering which one of my female platies are pregnant? Is it normal that a female platy give birth to only one fry?

Here some pictures:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
  2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

She looks like she isn't finished giving birth

3. Daylight Member Member

Which one cause the first and second picture are different females and I was wondering which one was pregnant
  4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Both of them look like they are about to give birth

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

If there are males in the tank they will always be pregnant. Those 2 Platys look in the late pregnancy stage. I dont think your Platy gave birth to just one fry, probably they ate all their fry and just that one managed to survive.
  6. Daylight Member Member

How can you tell, I am new to breeding fish and I don't know how a gravid spot looks like
  7. jonahdough Initiate Member

Hi! I have been breeding livebearers for several years. All of the fish in the pictures appear to be pregnant. The gravid spot is a dark round spot near the anal vent.

8. Daylight Member Member

would the spot be visible on the side or on the bottom?
  9. jonahdough Initiate Member

The spot would be visible from the side. It might not be too noticeable but if you look closely you will see.
  10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's how you know if your female is pregnant... If you have a male and female, the female will get pregnant. heheheheheheh simple as that. Now a gravid spot is dark and black. It shows the babies eyes. Very tiny. The parents will eat their fry if they can catch them.

11. jonahdough Initiate Member

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, she is pregnant. She will be giving birth very soon if not already.

It's all good. :) If you want to raise the fry you can get a breeder net or another tank (cycled).
  13. Daylight Member Member

Is it possible that the female only gave birth to one fry but she will later give birth to more? I know there might be a possibility that the fries might have be eaten
  14. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Very rarely do platies give birth to one or two fry. They give birth to around 20 fry. Most of them either got eaten or are hiding. They are very hard to spot.
  15. jonahdough Initiate Member

Well there's always that possibility but normally they have about 10-20 at a time
  16. Daylight Member Member

does this fry look healthy?

17. pixelhoot Member Member

Yes! Congrats on the healthy baby! They like baby brine shrimp and crushed flakes. :>
  18. goplecos Well Known Member Member

All of those fish have a gravid spot. The last 2 are very late into pregnancy. You can tell because they have a square stomach. You could have just one for several reasons. 1 the fish isn't done giving birth. Sometimes they drop them all at once or over the course of several weeks. 2 The rest got eaton. If the tank is small or not heavily planted this is possible. 3 There could be more that you haven't seen. Babies are super sneaky and I don't always see mine for a few weeks. That is a nice healthy baby.
  19. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Platies can store sperm. If they have ever mated they will have multiple births.
  20. Daylight Member Member

good news my platies had 4 more frys but instead of being orange they are white. is there something wrong?