Pregnant Platy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FishFingars, Apr 20, 2017.

1. FishFingarsNew MemberMember

Hi all,

A bit of backstory: I had 1 RCS, 1 Platy (female), and 1 Mussel living in my 3g tank. I went away on holidays for 2 weeks and left my brother to care for the tank while house sitting and it was gross and brown and smelly when I came back. I cleaned the filter (it had gotten clogged and my brother turned it off because it was making a weird noise), cleaned down the sides of the tank, did a 50% water change, and it was looking pretty good.

Flash forwards to two nights ago when I was rearranging the tank to squeeze in a heater (dropping to 17 degrees Celsius overnight) and better filter and when I moved the log I saw a tiny baby fish, just one. That little guy is still there and can be seen zooming around the tank at night. Now I have 2 questions here: 1) could the Platy dropping fry have caused my old filter to get clogged? 2) could this Platy be pregnant again? She is getting fatter again and by my estimation it has been 2 weeks since she last gave birth.

I have other questions, but I'll save them for another post hahaha don't want to overload anyone with my basic newbie questions :p

Thanks in advance xx

2. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Platies, as can all livebearers, can store sperm for months. I'm a horrible stocker, but she needs to be out of that 3g. Too small for her, and she'd love some friends.

3. KarenSoCalWell Known MemberMember

My platy gave birth to about 20 fry just last week. They are so tiny, if you don't have a prefilter sponge on your intake, they could easily get sucked up. Enough to stop an impellor? I don't know. You'd have to take it apart and look for gruesome evidence.

4. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I think she'd eat them before they had the chance to get sucked into the filter.

5. FishFingarsNew MemberMember

I know she needs out of that tank, but I can't do it right now :( I was sold the tank at a pet store and the lady told us it could house 4 Platy with some RCS and the mussel. After getting the tank I hopped on here and found out it was too small, bought a 25g tank online but due to some issues with the supplier and sending it back to get a replacement tank (the first arrived cracked), it'll arrive just before we move so it won't be set up for a month or so :(

I've gotten a better filter for the 3g and a heater in the hopes that it'll help with the whole being stuck in a tiny tank bit, plus 20% water changes every 3 days (and monitoring of the water via the API master test kit). I know the situation isn't ideal but I'm working on it and am learning from my mistakes :)

6. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Think you need a new pet store after that advice. Was it one of those big chain stores?

7. KarenSoCalWell Known MemberMember

Interestingly enough, I left the fry in the community tank. Neither the parents or the glowlight tetras have paid any attention to them. And of course the cories don't bother them either. I really don't know what I'm going to do with them!

8. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I'm a livebearer guy, but I'm not into breeding or fry. Usually do all males. Or I have some kind of gourami or betta in my tank when I get fry and let them have a meal.

9. KarenSoCalWell Known MemberMember

Well, I could catch them one at a time and give them to my betta. Don't know if I have the heart for that...

10. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

My usually peaceful Honey Gouramis went absolutely INSANE over some platy fry in my 20 g. It's slightly disturbing to watch.

11. FishFingarsNew MemberMember

Yep, a large chain store. I just took apart the "filter" that came with the tank, it has no filtration to it at all, it was just a pump and nothing more o_O All I can say is that I am glad I bought a better filter (found a LFS about an hour away and went there) as this will hopefully help with the fish situation. I just feel really bad for my fish because I can't rehouse for a while :( Hopefully I can move the time frame ahead and have her in her new tank sooner. Fingers crossed she doesn't have any more fry between now and then :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice