Pregnant Platy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DylanRK, Apr 15, 2017.

1. DylanRK

DylanRK New Member Member

Does this platy look pregnant?

Attached Files:

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

It looks pregnant and like it inhaled a lot of food.

3. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Yes, she looks pregnant :) you can tell based on her size (obviously) but also on get gravid spot and stomach shape (different from size).
    So, so is large, she has a fairly dark gravid spot, and her stomach has angles rather than being rounded.

4. OP
    OP
    DylanRK

DylanRK New Member Member

Thanks! How do I know when she will give birth?

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

She will look more "boxy" when you view her from behind.

6. fjh

It's hard to tell the exact time, mostly because fish can hold their fry longer than necessary if they don't feel safe.

Usually when a girl is ready, she will secluded herself from the other fish, often near the heater.
    She will grow more square/boxy, and if you are really good you can actually see her birthing tube drop (if you can see this, that means she'll start in hours)
    If you have males in the tank, often they will take more interest in her than usual (not always the case though).
    Sometimes their eating habits change; either always begging for food and being aggressive during feeding time, or not eating at all.

Honestly, it varies from fish to fish. If she's ever given birth before, look for any changes in behavior that you noticed last time, as well as her size/proportions. I listed some general changes that are seen when girls are about to drop, but each individual mom may display all or none of the symptoms.

7. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

When my MM platy was ready, she sat in the corner, shimmering/shivering and hiding. As noted, the body changes are as mentioned above. On my platy, there were dark "dots" on her side ( I was told these are the fry's eyes )
    The next day, she had given birth. Sadly, all except one fry was eaten. That fry is now a month and a half old and thriving well....

platy 3-1-17.jpg

8. Diesmali

Diesmali Valued Member Member

Are they ever not pregnant? Water rabbits...

9. fjh

Very true

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice