Pregnant platy?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Andreaz27, Jul 20, 2015.

1. A

Andreaz27 New Member Member

I have two female platy fish that look pregnant one of them has had a fry before just one that I found in the tank about 3 weeks ago I don't know if others were eatin or she only had one fry anyway the two female platys look pregnant again how do I know when it's time to separate the females from the rest of the tank so that all the fry doesn't get eaten?

2. sparkles22

sparkles22 Valued Member Member

Hi Andrea. .. I had a platy give birth a couple of weeks ago thought she had 2 fry and the rest got eaten... nope they are champion hiders in gravel and in plants.. you prolly have more.........

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster Altmiller Valued Member Member

when they get close to giving birth they will get really large and their stomachs will square off so they look like this \_/ and they give birth every 25-35 days or so. However, separating the moms into birthing tanks or boxes is very stressful on the fish. Often times it causes the mom to die due to stress. I put floating plants in my tank to give the fry a place to hide. I've been extremely successful this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy it here!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice