Pregnant Platy Question

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Livielupop, Jul 9, 2015.

1. LivielupopValued MemberMember

I believe my blue Platy is pregnant but I can't tell because her gravity spot is hard to see with her coloration. Let me know what you think....

Attached Files:

2. ChromeGenoValued MemberMember

Is your blue platy the one with the black fins? Or is it the one with orange fins?

3. LivielupopValued MemberMember

they both have black fins, the girl and the boy, but in the picture it would be the one in the front closest to you. Basically the one with the black fins.

4. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

If she is, its only the beginning and she'll get much larger and rounder than that, its hard to tell at her current size. Then they actually more or less square off right before giving birth.

5. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

It's hard to say, none of my platies get a noticeable gravid spot. She's not very big though, my girls are always a little rounder than the boys anyhow, even when not pregnant. If she's in there with males however she's almost certainly pregnant with quite a while to go yet I'd guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Lisa Schuster AltmillerValued MemberMember

If she's been around males in the past year, she's pregnant. Some of my platys never show gravid spots either.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. LivielupopValued MemberMember

I have a male in my tank but he seems to chase her away compared to the lovey dovey way he treats my hifin girl.

✨Liv✨

8. Lisa Schuster AltmillerValued MemberMember

That doesn't mean they haven't mated. And females can store sperm for a year so it could have been anytime since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. LivielupopValued MemberMember

Oh ok then fabulous! I've been wanting her to be pregnant like the other girl!:):):)

10. ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

My female platy didn't show any visible signs...but one day, there was magically platy fry in my tank!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice