Pregnant Platy Question

Nishadhi

I bought a pregnant platy and it recently gave birth to 8 baby fry. A week has past and I still see the spot of fry in her stomach. The spot is smaller but is still there. This makes me wonder if she still needs to give birth to more babies or if those are dead babies in her stomach. Can platys become pregnant with 2 different pregnancies at the same time?

MrBryan723

They can indeed be pregnant with multiple batches. Also the gravid spot might not always go away or it might take some time to go away. I personally doubt they are dead fry in there, but if you are worried and don't have any fish sensite to salt, you can add a bit of aquarium salt to the water to help them with the birthing process.

Nishadhi

They can indeed be pregnant with multiple batches. Also the gravid spot might not always go away or it might take some time to go away. I personally doubt they are dead fry in there, but if you are worried and don't have any fish sensite to salt, you can add a bit of aquarium salt to the water to help them with the birthing process.
Will adding salt to the water hurt my
Guppies, angelfish, or neon tetras

MrBryan723

Guppies no, depending on levels angelfish are more sensitive to it as well as tetras.
Another relevant issue is guppies and platys have similar water requirements while angles and tetras don't with them.

Nishadhi

Guppies no, depending on levels angelfish are more sensitive to it as well as tetras.
Another relevant issue is guppies and platys have similar water requirements while angles and tetras don't with them.
Thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Jae1306
Replies
Views
My Betta Moonstone
Replies