Pregnant Platy Not Having Babies

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Photobelle, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Photobelle

Photobelle Valued Member Member

What would cause a pregnant platy to not have the babies? She has been pregnant at least 2 months.

2. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Can you post a picture of her? :)

3. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

This is her

Attached Files:

4. Fishaholic58

I’ve read that they could hold their babies in for up to four months. Are there any fish that could be dangerous to the fry? She may be holding them in to keep them safe. What’s the temp in the tank and the water perimeters? (Edit: I read that a “Gravid Spot” can be seen if they are pregnant.)

5. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

6. Fishaholic58

Does she have a Gravid spot? Nothing sounds like a threat.

7. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

I believe so she has a black spot near theback of her belly

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

They cannot hold fry for four months, physically not possible. They can hold them 40 days at most. She could have absorbed or aborted the first batch of fry (or they could have all gotten eaten) and is on the second round from her stored sperm (unless you have a male that could have bred to her after she absorbed/aborted).
    She is very chesty which points to being overfed quite a bit, while she is gravid (you can see the area where the fry are growing) you have a bunch of fish that would and do eat fry, most livebearers (if the female cannot find a place to hide securely) will follow the birthing female around and eat the fry as they come out before they can start swimming. Danio are fast enough to catch the fry after they start swimming and most platy will hunt them.
    The longest I have had a female hold fry was 38 days, she was massive at that point and finally dropped that evening. She had about 23 fry, which half were eaten pretty much that next morning.

9. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

Ok thanks. She was the only fish for a bit so it's possible I overfeed her. now that we have more fish will she lose weight? Also no males I there right now but if she used stored sperm would she never have looked "unpregnant"? I'm not worried about the fry I didn't want babies anyways I just keep watching her to see the belly go away to know she is ok.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice