Pregnant Platy? But I have all females!

plantnewb

Hello all! In my 10 gallon tall tank, I have 4 female platy fish, 1 male guppy, and 2 Amano shrimp.
I did notice today that one of the platy fish is either fat or pregnant. I am pretty sure that the triangular shape of the analfin tells me that they are all female.
I know the guppy while being male is from a different family altogether. So how could this happen??? I am so confused...

Here are a couple of pics of what she looks like.

I am pretty sure this post will have lots of questions and I will be happy to fill in any gaps.

coldpines

Many livebearers can be assumed to be pregnant when you get them from the store. How long have you had them?

BigManAquatics

Platies and other livebearers can store several packets of sperm for months so they can get pregnant even without males around.

plantnewb

Many livebearers can be assumed to be pregnant when you get them from the store. How long have you had them?
3 months

emeraldking

Well, most ovoviviparous female livebearers are able to store sperm packets for over a year. So, if you had them for three months, the chance that they will produce offspring after this, is very potential if they've mated before (at the stores for instance).

All viviparous (so, real livebearers) female livebearers are not able to store sperm packets.

plantnewb

So platy fish are ovoviviparous?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• fishfriend223
  • Platy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
  • benchies
  • Platy
Replies