Pregnant platy and aggressive male (breeder box?)

TwiTch18

Hello!
Im fairly new at this and I recently set up a 35g community tank (For now there is only 1 male and 3 female blue tuxedo platies). Upon watching them for a week, I believe one platy is pregnant... but I'm not sure how far in. Unfortunately, the male continuously bugs and follows her, even nipping at her belly every now and then I think. I could imagine this is causing her some stress (although she is still eating and swimming around fine). Overall, I'm worried about the fry getting eaten or lost during birth and I figured I should get a plan together before she goes into labour. I doubt I will be able to catch any fry so Im kinda leaning towards a breeder box but I'm not sure if that's more stressful than a hungry and **** male....

Anyways.... After a rabbit hole of YouTube I found myself setting up a medium-sized fluval breeder box. It seems decent quality and offers the mother a fair bit of swimming room for being isolated. Although I'm really not sure how long is safe for her to be in there and at what point I should catch her to put her in.

I guess I'm looking for advice on putting a pregnant fish in the box with minimal stress and a some suggestions on how I can deal with the male for the time being...

Any advice and information Is appreciated and I offer my thanks in advance.

BigManAquatics

We skip the whole breeder box thing as platies can breed you right out of a tank real quick, but we do always get survivirs so it just slows that down lol!

But when we did, we would usually wait as long as possible to reduce the stress of the breeder box, keeping mama in there as little time as possible.

Upvote 0

TwiTch18

We skip the whole breeder box thing as platies can breed you right out of a tank real quick, but we do always get survivirs so it just slows that down lol!

But when we did, we would usually wait as long as possible to reduce the stress of the breeder box, keeping mama in there as little time as possible.
Thats great information! Thanks! How long did you usually keep her in there for?

I don't thinks she is far enough along yet.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Pretty much as soon as the babies popped out we took her out.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• leaadams
  • Platy
Replies
Views
leaadams
  • Question
  • lolitroy
  • Platy
Replies
Views