Pregnant Platies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place or not...I'm new here x)

In March my parents went out and bought 5 platies. I moaned the whole day because it meant my tank was very overstocked and they didn't do any research or anything.

It was only a few weeks ago I found out how to sex them and I now know I have 4 females and 1 male. While taking a look at them I realized just how fat a few of the females were. Some people who have seen pics of them think they're pregnant. This has started worrying me. I only started keeping aquarium fish last year and I have no idea what to do about pregnant fish!

I now have a 125l aquarium set up and I've added my females to the tank to complete the cycling. I didn't want to move them in case it stresses them out and they lose the fry or if it would encourage them to drop them sooner, but they're the hardiest fish I have. I decided to put just the females in to give them a break from the male (my red platy was constantly being chased around and hiding) and they seem much calmer and happier.

I hope to keep any fry and possibly sell some too. I was considering getting a breeding trap but I've heard many people say they're too small and will stress the fish out? I don't really want them to drop the fry in the big tank and have to scoop them out. If I can put them in a breeder, when will I know to put them in? Don't want them in there too long if it means stressing them out.

Here are my 4 females:

Are they pregnant?

Also I am unsure about what a gravid spot is? All my females have a darker patch just above their analfin but I'm not sure if it's the gravid spot or not. Its red on 1, a pinky colour on another, 1 looks pretty dark (its a darker platy so don't know if that makes any difference?) and I cant really see anything on my red 1, she is the slimmest but shes still getting bigger. Could someone post me a picture please?

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello HarperC and Welcome to Fish Lore,

Judging by the photos I would say they are all pregnant. Kind of a maybe on the orange one.

The gravid spot is different from fish to fish. You are looking in the correct area. The orange one you may not see a gravid spot at all during the pregnancy.

I'm concerned about the cycling with fish. I see that you are aware of the nitrogen cycle. Did you consider or have you seeded the new tank with filter media from your established tank? Did you use Tetra Safe Start (TSS) by chance?

Be sure to keep an eye on your readings. You don't want your fish exposed to ammonia. It may be worse than keeping your pregnant females in a breeder net. Fish can suffer long term side effects from ammonia exposure.

Most live bearers for the home aquarium have fry every 26 to 30 days. I think yours may have a while yet but I can't say for certain.

Lets get some more responses. Too, be prepared for water changes if you are only cycling with fish.

A link you may find helpful:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/4-of-the-best-products-if-cycling-with-fish.61238/

Another link on Seeding:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/please-remember-cycling-with-established-filter-media.66727/

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Platy.htm
Keep us posted and I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Last edited:
OP
H

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you for the reply

On the first tank we had a bit of New Tank Syndrome and I wanted to try and do this larger tank right, but everywhere says to do cycling different so it left me pretty confused.

The fish only went in yesterday, and I've had plants in there for over a week now. The fish seem fine but I am keeping an eye on them and the water conditions, although I don't have a tester for ammonia but I shall be getting some today.

I don't fully understand filters either, we're kinda learning as we go along. Our filter for the smaller tank is an internal one, and this new one is an external and I thought they were completely different types?

Haven't used Tetra Safe Start but I put Nutrafin Cycle in, is it the same?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello HarperC,

I've never used any product to boost my cycle so I can't give you first hand experience.

However, from what I"ve read Cycle doesn't contain the necessary bacteria to sustain the cycle of your tank without adding it for the life of the tank. Once you stop using it your cycle can crash as it hasn't had the chance to cycle naturally. I believe Cycle contains terrestrial bacteria and not aquatic bacteria. I wouldn't recommend it.

Tetra Safe Start (TSS)seems to be the best bacterial additive to boost your cycle. Many members have used it with success but some haven't been so lucky. Here is a link you may find helpful on TSS should you decide to use it:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Ken

OP
H

harperc

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the advice, I shall try and convince my parents to get me some TSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?