Pregnant Oto Catfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this chat so hello everyone.
About a month ago, I got five Oto Catfishes, about a week earlier, I noticed that one of them had a slightly swollen stomach. The stomach gets gradually larger. I have read several threads and found signs that they were pregnant. The only problem I have is that none of the other catfish are showing any breeding behavior. Yesterday, the " pregnant " catfish has begun to just sit there and barely move. Right now, they are kept in a well established ( 3 year old ) 20 gallon tank. There's lots of alagae and its densely planted. Along with the 5 catfish, there are two BN Plecos and three guppies, so imo it's not overcrowded. I am desperate to l ow if my Oto is good, is it sick? Or is it just pregnant.
Thanks

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore
Oto's don't get pregnant as they're egg layers, it's possible it has eggs though them spawning in captivity is quite rare.
Can you get a picture of it?

OP
L

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, my Otos are in a tank where I position the lights so I can get a half dark and half bright feeling. The bright side has a bunch of algae and the Otos love it there, they also love my Java moss and the shrimp pellets I drop in there. As for healthy? All my Otos have full stomachs, but this one in piticular is super swollen.... I'll try to get a pic.

Not sure how to add pics...

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438900279.769354.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438900307.151279.jpg
Sorry the pics are a bit blurry, my guppies want all the attention you can see the algae. There is a belly view and a side view.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cameron090601

Reaction score
Looks healthy too me but then again i'm not an oto expert however rounded bellies are a good sign it is healthy. It may just be that it is really well fed. Most people worry about otos not getting enough to eat so count yourself lucky

OP
L

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yah I guess so , the only reason I'm worried is because it doesn't seem to be moving as much, and does not like to be with the group...

it just seems way over plump... One thing I forgot to mention is that I had been taking care of a Oto for a friend and recently gave it back...

Last edited by a moderator:

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm on my phone so it's hard to tell, but it looks a bit bigger than just a healthy oto. Breeding them in captivity is not very common. It has happened, but it's rare. Keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's not sick.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

OP
L

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm on my phone so it's hard to tell, but it looks a bit bigger than just a healthy oto. Breeding them in captivity is not very common. It has happened, but it's rare. Keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's not sick.

Do you have any idea what disease this is?

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have any idea what disease this is?
I didn't phrase that right. It just doesn't look like a plump healthy oto. It's bigger. It could be full of eggs. Which is a good thing. Keep an eye on it.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't remember my female being quite that round when she spawned but if yours is active & feeding well it may be just eggs, are the others staying close or following her around more than usual?

OP
L

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't remember my female being quite that round when she spawned but if yours is active & feeding well it may be just eggs, are the others staying close or following her around more than usual?
I got one new Oto yesterday, and he seems to be following it a little more than usual, otherwise he/she is just sitting there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom