Pregnant Oto Catfish?

1. L

Leafray Valued Member Member

Hi,
    I am new to this chat so hello everyone.
    About a month ago, I got five Oto Catfishes, about a week earlier, I noticed that one of them had a slightly swollen stomach. The stomach gets gradually larger. I have read several threads and found signs that they were pregnant. The only problem I have is that none of the other catfish are showing any breeding behavior. Yesterday, the " pregnant " catfish has begun to just sit there and barely move. Right now, they are kept in a well established ( 3 year old ) 20 gallon tank. There's lots of alagae and its densely planted. Along with the 5 catfish, there are two BN Plecos and three guppies, so imo it's not overcrowded. I am desperate to l ow if my Oto is good, is it sick? Or is it just pregnant.
    Thanks

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Oto's don't get pregnant as they're egg layers, it's possible it has eggs though them spawning in captivity is quite rare.
    Can you get a picture of it?

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore Leafray!
    Agreed with Coradee.
    A round oto is a healthy oto, I have read..... is yours just eating well?

4. C

Cameron090601 New Member Member

Very healthy otos have fat bellies, starving ones have sunken bellies. Good news is yours is very very healthy ☺

5. OP
    OP
    L

Thanks guys, my Otos are in a tank where I position the lights so I can get a half dark and half bright feeling. The bright side has a bunch of algae and the Otos love it there, they also love my Java moss and the shrimp pellets I drop in there. As for healthy? All my Otos have full stomachs, but this one in piticular is super swollen.... I'll try to get a pic.

Not sure how to add pics...

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438900279.769354.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438900307.151279.jpg
    Sorry the pics are a bit blurry, my guppies want all the attention :) you can see the algae. There is a belly view and a side view.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. C

Looks healthy too me but then again i'm not an oto expert however rounded bellies are a good sign it is healthy. It may just be that it is really well fed. Most people worry about otos not getting enough to eat so count yourself lucky :)

7. OP
    OP
    L

Yah I guess so :D, the only reason I'm worried is because it doesn't seem to be moving as much, and does not like to be with the group...

it just seems way over plump... One thing I forgot to mention is that I had been taking care of a Oto for a friend and recently gave it back...

8. C

Otos do sometimes rest during the day as they are nocturnal. A lot of people have said they have seen there otos hanging on the glass or plants.

9. OP
    OP
    L

I ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438959434.801855.jpg
    If you zoom in, you can see the extra swelling compared to the one in front.

10. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I'm on my phone so it's hard to tell, but it looks a bit bigger than just a healthy oto. Breeding them in captivity is not very common. It has happened, but it's rare. Keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's not sick.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

11. OP
    OP
    L

Do you have any idea what disease this is?

12. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I do think it is full of eggs.
    There are quite some topics about breeding Oto's lately.

13. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I didn't phrase that right. It just doesn't look like a plump healthy oto. It's bigger. It could be full of eggs. Which is a good thing. Keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

14. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I don't remember my female being quite that round when she spawned but if yours is active & feeding well it may be just eggs, are the others staying close or following her around more than usual?

15. OP
    OP
    L

I got one new Oto yesterday, and he seems to be following it a little more than usual, otherwise he/she is just sitting there...