Pregnant or well fed?

leaadams

69E9630B-2AC9-465D-802A-78B15A6E622E.pngHi everyone! Fish Newbie here. We have had our aquarium for just under 2 months now. It’s not a big setup 30L tank with two filters (overhead and sponge), 3 platys (2F & 1M), 2 black widow tetras and 1 Cory. I’ve done lots of reading /research on water parameters & tank is cycled, water conditions good :)
Anyhow, one of our orange platys has a nice round belly on her. she does love her food (they all do!). They get fed Hikari micro pellets once a day. She’s been with our male blue platy since the pet shop 7 weeks ago so she could be pregnant.
But she hasn’t got the dark/black gravid spot on her so I’m not too sure….She is quite a big bigger than the male & same size when we got them same time. The male follows her everywhere. I just want to prepare for fry (possibly use a breeding box at the last moment) to avoid fry getting eaten by the others.
We only have artificial plants in the aquarium & hoping to get some advice from platy breeders as to what I’m in for!
I was planning on using the breeding box for as minimal a time and transfer the babies into another ready cycled tank. Just won’t know when to expect fry!
Thank you!

Attachments

• F301E1C9-2CA8-48FA-B6E3-CAD05508F0E8.png
    F301E1C9-2CA8-48FA-B6E3-CAD05508F0E8.png
    775.4 KB · Views: 12
  • E2041452-B409-48FF-B3FC-367DCE013B20.png
    E2041452-B409-48FF-B3FC-367DCE013B20.png
    768.5 KB · Views: 12

CrackerboxPalace

Hi, female platys are almost always pregnant, especially within 4 months of exposure to mature males. So yes she's most likely pregnant, congrats :)

I'm surprised she hasn't given birth at least once yet, it usually doesn't take much longer than a month for fry to appear. Maybe they all got eaten overnight :(

My preferred method for livebearer breeding is to leave the babies in the tank. I've kept them in a grow-out tank before, but more recently I've been doing the former method. It leaves you with less fry, but stronger genes.

Flyfisha

Hi leaadams
Welcome to fishlore.
I have not kept platies myself, but have kept other live bearers. 100% she is definitely pregnant. It’s likely she is eating the fry before you see them? Along with any other fish , this is normal in a home aquarium. Adding any clean plastic food grade items will give the fry a chance of surviving. Or at least surviving long enough for you to move them.
Often fry are dropped first thing in the morning/ when first light hits the tank.
The second cycled tank can be filled with the main tank water on the day you see fry. Seriously vacuuming fry is standard practice. A straight length of hose is required. A net might be ok for live bearers fry because they are born big?

Live bearers are also called .
The most dangerous fish and the million fish.
Because you will have hundreds of fry from one female.The male fry breed at 3 months and the female fry at 4 months.

An interesting video on guppies and the use of drinking straws to help fry hide. Ok its about guppies but the camera work is good value.

leaadams

Hi, female platys are almost always pregnant, especially within 4 months of exposure to mature males. So yes she's most likely pregnant, congrats :)

I'm surprised she hasn't given birth at least once yet, it usually doesn't take much longer than a month for fry to appear. Maybe they all got eaten overnight :(

My preferred method for livebearer breeding is to leave the babies in the tank. I've kept them in a grow-out tank before, but more recently I've been doing the former method. It leaves you with less fry, but stronger genes.
That’s some valid advice thank you! I’m worried all the babies get eaten in the main tank as there adults are always hungry :p

I’m worried she’s already had babies and I haven’t noticed! Tho her belly has been round for quite some time now!
Hi leaadams
Welcome to fishlore.
I have not kept platies myself, but have kept other live bearers. 100% she is definitely pregnant. It’s likely she is eating the fry before you see them? Along with any other fish , this is normal in a home aquarium. Adding any clean plastic food grade items will give the fry a chance of surviving. Or at least surviving long enough for you to move them.
Often fry are dropped first thing in the morning/ when first light hits the tank.
The second cycled tank can be filled with the main tank water on the day you see fry. Seriously vacuuming fry is standard practice. A straight length of hose is required. A net might be ok for live bearers fry because they are born big?

Live bearers are also called .
The most dangerous fish and the million fish.
Because you will have hundreds of fry from one female.The male fry breed at 3 months and the female fry at 4 months.

An interesting video on guppies and the use of drinking straws to help fry hide. Ok its about guppies but the camera work is good value.
Thank you for your reply! The guppy video was so informative and watching the babies being birthed was amazing! I like the straw idea too.
I’m worried she may have had babies and they are eaten before we even get to see it! :(
Now to figure out how best to save some babies …..

Similar Aquarium Threads

• grace123
  • Platy
Replies
Views
prasunchoudhari
Replies
Views
Sokamix
  • Scardom
  • Platy
Replies