Pregnant or something else?

1. celizabethh3 Member Member

I have had four danios (3 zebra, 1 leopard) for close to a year now. They were initially in a 10 gallon tank but have since been moved to my 36 gallon. Recently one of them has developed a swollen belly and at first I thought she (?) was full of eggs. I don't know how to sex them so I'm not sure if she is even a she.

The tank has been running for almost two months now and the water parameters are in check. I test with the API liquid master kit and things are 0, 0 and 5. The ammonia did fluctuate to 0.5 - 0.25 briefly about a week ago but levels have since been brought down. I do weekly water changes of about 20%. Aside from the danios, I have black skirt tetras, platys and a dwarf gourami in the tank.

(Sorry the pictures are sideways. My iPad did that for some reason.)

Do you think she's full of eggs or is it something else? I keep a close eye on her and she swims normally and eats. She just has a really big belly!

Attached Files:

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Pregnant is my guess.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd say bloated, danios are egg scatterers & even if she was full of eggs she wouldn't be that big.
    I'd fast them for a couple of days then feed deshelled peas which will get things moving if she's constipated.
    Another thought, are her scales raised? That could be a sign of dropsy

4. celizabethh3 Member Member

Her scales aren't raised at all and she seems perfectly healthy aside from the belly.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Jeez, she looks like a pregnant guppy girl!

I agree though, I'd fast for two days and feed blanched peas. If you can QT her just in case it's not just constipation, that would be best.

6. celizabethh3 Member Member

I'll try the fasting and peas, see if that helps with the bloat. Thanks!

7. celizabethh3 Member Member

Unfortunately she passed away yesterday. I tried fasting her and I tried peas - her belly was starting to get smaller, although still larger than my other danios, and she was acting fine. Any chance it might have been some sort of parasite?

Should I treat the tank with ParaGuard just in case? I also have a skirt tetra missing half its dorsal fin (posted in another thread) but that's completely unrelated and due to aggression between the tetras. Everyone else is doing great otherwise!