Pregnant or Sick?

SammyB

Good morning,
I have a molly that has looked pregnant for a few days, so I bought a breeder net/box for her. The other fish seemed to be stressing her out and chasing her all over the tank, "sniffing", or waiting for her to give birth? So I decided to isolate her. All was well until she stopped eating. I thought that perhaps she was about to give birth because she stopped eating. But it has been a few days. I'm beginning to worry. Her scales are not protruding, but I'm wondering if she's sick (dropsy) or she's just too stressed now. What should I do? should I release her or keep observing?
It's hard to get a good picture of her because of the box, but I will post a photo from above.

Attachments

• 20211005_112146.jpg
    20211005_112146.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 15

BigManAquatics

Putting a fish in a breeder box does twnd to steess them out. And a livebearer, so most likely pregnant.

SammyB

So, I'm between a rock and a hard place. I'd like to save the fry from being eaten, but I'd like to save the mother too. How much stress is too much stress? Stress from the box or stress from the stalkers and predators?

BigManAquatics

Probably being with the other fish would be less. I wouldn't put her in the box til she looking really close...lije a couple days after the belly starts getting a "box" look to it.

SammyB

I just released her with the other fish. And they went after her like bees to honey. She looks like she's swimming for her life. I was able to catch a photo of her that was not a blur after a few shots...

Attachments

• 20211005_115546.jpg
    20211005_115546.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 12

BigManAquatics

Kinda has that bocy look to her. Have a spare tank perchance?

SammyB

Unfortunately, no. I have a 10 gal. but it has a huge angelfish in it. I'm thinking of putting her back in the box. This has got to be killing her and her babies. I hope she doesn't abort.

BigManAquatics

Can try it. Mollies are kind of nowhere near as chill as people like to think.

SammyB

Try what, the 10 gal. or the box? I'm assuming that you mean try the tank with the angelfish. The angelfish won't attack? I've attached a picture. I don't know how I would get the little fry out of the tank with the angelfish in there.

Attachments

• 20211005_121331.jpg
    20211005_121331.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 10

BigManAquatics

Probably the box. She looks fairly close. The angelfish will eat the fry. But you might try the box in both tanks, see if there is a difference in how she acts.

SammyB

Thanks. Very helpful. Last question. If she's close, How long do you think I should feel comfortable leaving her in the box if she's not giving birth? Can she stay in there for days and days?

BigManAquatics

Thanks. Very helpful. Last question. If she's close, How long do you think I should feel comfortable leaving her in the box if she's not giving birth? Can she stay in there for days and days?
Not sure. We only used breeder boxes and nets for fry because we had nowhere else to put them at the time

SammyB

Update:
Pregnant molly gave birth to a few fry. One seems to be surviving, others seem to have not. There appears to be some black "after birth" in the breeder net. I'm not sure if she's done yet, she still looks quite pregnant. I will continue to monitor. I don't know if she ate some others.

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom