Pregnant? Or Just Fat??

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I picked up this little lady on Christmas Eve, thinking she looked pregnant. However, I have now had her for 32 days and still no sign of fry!

When I picked her up, she wasn't in the best of conditions (she had a wounded fin) but she has healed up nicely - she is in an 80 litre tank with 5 neons. The tank is heavily planted and water parameters are 0/0/20

So, just wondered if there is any possibility she isn't pregnant? If you think she is, how long do you reckon she has before she drops? Can't be too much longer, surely??

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Pregnancy time for guppies is usually 21-30 days, so it's very possible that she's either fat or bloated. Has she gotten any bigger since you got her? If she if pregnant, she'll probably drop within 7 days at the most.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She has got noticeably bigger, particularly over the last two weeks (see my avatar - that was about 2 and a half weeks ago). She isn't pine coned or showing any signs of distress, still eating like a fiend and poop looks normal. Just didn't know they could go this long without popping! Lol

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sounds pregnant to me in that case.
As I said above, she'll probably drop very soon. Keep an eye on her just in case she starts acting strangely though.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thank you! I've been running home every day from work and peering into all the plants to try and spot fry...the anticipation is killing me haha!

Aster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks pregnant. My females usually drop every month or so, sometimes a few days earlier, sometimes a few days later. It depends on the temperature of the tank. 32 days isn't that concerning.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks @Aster, how far along do they have to get before you start worrying? The tank is at 26 degrees celcius (78.8F according to google)

Aster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If she doesn't drop in the next few days, something may be wrong. Stress can cause females to hold their fry. But it looks like she's squaring off, which is a sign that she's very close.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lights are off in the tank now but I'll try to get one tomorrow. She's definitely not larger, if anything she is a bit smaller. I am wondering if she had a few fry and ate them! She still looks pregnant to me though. She is still acting like a happy fishy so I'm not overly worried. I'll try to grab a pic tomorrow for you!

EDIT: just gone to peer at her in the dark and actually, looking at the pics I posted at the start of this thread she isn't any smaller. She's still large and boxy. I swear she's keeping them in to torment me now LOL

Last edited:

Aster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She looks really boxy, and her birth canal appears to be opening. Any day now, if she's not already giving birth.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fingers crossed, hopefully when I get home in a couple of hours I'll be logging back on to tell you I have fry lol! Her birth canal has looked like that for a couple of days now, so hopefully fry are imminent!

EDIT: Just had a text from my son, still no babies lol :banghead:

Last edited:

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Still nothing. I don't know, I'm back to thinking she looks smaller? I don't know if I'm just imagining things. Here are some pictures:
6cf6771d8f6a5dffb96f3b9a8a0b4c81.jpg

e4a604f6a9a7ffa1d424e806584b6aa0.jpg

f7c22809c452edcce9511c58dc6296a1.jpg

She is patrolling the tank looking for food constantly and still doesn't appear distressed, I can really see no reason why she would be holding them in. Should I be worried?

Aster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She does look smaller. Compare the curve from gills to belly in the old pics and the new pics. She may be giving birth to the fry and they are just getting eating.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If that's what's going on I'll be very surprised if I don't get one or two who survive coz the tank is heavily planted.

She still looks pregnant to me, do you think she has multiple pregnancies going on simultaneously?

Aster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If your tank is heavily planted it will also be harder for you to see them! But don't worry, a few will always survive.

She could be in the process of giving birth right now. I don't think they can have multiple pregnancies.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha well if I spot any babies I will let you know! Thanks so much for all of your help and advice

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom