Pregnant Molly

1. NAC1999

NAC1999 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a new black molly from the store and the employee told me she was pregnant. I obviously have no idea how long she's been pregnant. I have a 10 gallon tank with other mollies already. Any advice for caring for this fish and then ultimately the babies? By the way, I'm 10 yrs old but my dad said I could ask this forum to get more information.
    Thanks!!;D YAY! baby mollies! We got a breeder tank and crushed up fish flakes. So far so good their very healthy What else should I do?:-\

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Welcome to Fishlore NAC999!

If you want to keep the babies, then you'll want to put them in a breeders net when they're born. If not, the parents will get rid of them for you.

Right before the female gives birth, her stomach will look like she swallowed a box.

Hope this helps and please keep us posted.

3. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

NAC1999 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Moly

How do I take care of newly born black mollies?!( Fedding,moving,growing,ect).

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +158
    welcome to fishlore!!(if i havent already)
    if you can get a breeder net, that would be best...otherwise, they could be a snack to any other fish..even mom and dad.....they will eat any crushed up flakes..almost powder like

good luck!

EDIT: Ive merged your posts so members dont get confused on advice already offered :) you only need one post for each topic

5. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Great advice from Shawnie!

You can keep them in the breeders net until they're too big to fit in the other fishes mouths. I'm not sure, but I think it's around a month old, but hopefully someone will chime in that can tell you for sure.

6. OP
    OP
    NAC1999

NAC1999 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! That was very helpful!