Pregnant Molly

1. NAC1999 Member Member

I just got a new black molly from the store and the employee told me she was pregnant. I obviously have no idea how long she's been pregnant. I have a 10 gallon tank with other mollies already. Any advice for caring for this fish and then ultimately the babies? By the way, I'm 10 yrs old but my dad said I could ask this forum to get more information.
    Thanks!!;D YAY! baby mollies! We got a breeder tank and crushed up fish flakes. So far so good their very healthy What else should I do?:-\

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore NAC999!

If you want to keep the babies, then you'll want to put them in a breeders net when they're born. If not, the parents will get rid of them for you.

Right before the female gives birth, her stomach will look like she swallowed a box.

Hope this helps and please keep us posted.

3. NAC1999 Member Member

Moly

How do I take care of newly born black mollies?!( Fedding,moving,growing,ect).

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!(if i havent already)
    if you can get a breeder net, that would be best...otherwise, they could be a snack to any other fish..even mom and dad.....they will eat any crushed up flakes..almost powder like

good luck!

EDIT: Ive merged your posts so members dont get confused on advice already offered :) you only need one post for each topic

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Great advice from Shawnie!

You can keep them in the breeders net until they're too big to fit in the other fishes mouths. I'm not sure, but I think it's around a month old, but hopefully someone will chime in that can tell you for sure.

6. NAC1999 Member Member

Thanks! That was very helpful!