10 Gallon Tank Pregnant Molly?

Ashlyn1620

I got my black Molly fish from a friend around early January 2021 (don’t remember exact date.) They were pretty young but I don’t know how young/ they were tiny. I have 4 in a 10 gallon tank and one female appears pregnant. I remember thinking this around the beginning of June as well, so she may have been pregnant since June. I keep doubting myself though and thinking maybe she’s just a little fat. Although, I’ve been researching a lot and some things are matching up with pregnant Molly’s. For example, her stomach is rounder, she’s isolating herself from the others and she hides behind plants. Since she’s black, some appearance things can’t be seen. Anyways, I separated her into a diy breeder tank because I’m new to this, and don’t want her having the fry and the others eating them. Idk if it’s too early, but I believe she’s been pregnant for a month or two. I’m just confused as it is my first time having fish that appear pregnant. Please help! Here’s a pic of her:
I got my black Molly fish from a friend around early January 2021 (don’t remember exact date.) They were pretty young but I don’t know how young/ they were tiny. I have 4 in a 10 gallon tank and one female appears pregnant. I remember thinking this around the beginning of June as well, so she may have been pregnant since June. I keep doubting myself though and thinking maybe she’s just a little fat. Although, I’ve been researching a lot and some things are matching up with pregnant Molly’s. For example, her stomach is rounder, she’s isolating herself from the others and she hides behind plants. Since she’s black, some appearance things can’t be seen. Anyways, I separated her into a diy breeder tank because I’m new to this, and don’t want her having the fry and the others eating them. Idk if it’s too early, but I believe she’s been pregnant for a month or two. I’m just confused as it is my first time having fish that appear pregnant. Please help! Here’s a pic of her:
Just an edit: my Molly has a white dot near her analfin as well, not sure what that exactly means…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 25

ShorKie

She probably is. It looks like her stomach is getting a box shape, so in a week or so she might give birth. I'm not sure about mollies but my platy is usually pregnant for 4 weeks. She has been pregnant 4 times now but I've only got fry from her first batch because the other fish are them.

Upvote 0

Ashlyn1620

Thanks! Now I’m just wondering, do I leave her in the diy breeder box I made or let her out for a couple more days. My concern for her in there is she isn’t being able to swim around a lot. But also my concern for taking her out is that if I keep her in she might get used to it and feel safer when the time comes, so if I take her out then to put her back in she might be stressed more?? Idk if that made sense haha just trying to make this pregnancy go the best it can.
Thanks! Now I’m just wondering, do I leave her in the diy breeder box I made or let her out for a couple more days. My concern for her in there is she isn’t being able to swim around a lot. But also my concern for taking her out is that if I keep her in she might get used to it and feel safer when the time comes, so if I take her out then to put her back in she might be stressed more?? Idk if that made sense haha just trying to make this pregnancy go the best it can.
If anyone can give me advice, that’d be great.

Upvote 0

ShorKie

It's best to keep her in the main tank. Instead add lots of floating decorations or plants and add some more hiding spots. She will probably give birth around the bottom of the tank in a corner. From my experience the babies like hiding at the top of the tank so if you have floating plants you should be able to save lots of babies, then you can put the babies in the net after and grow them out.
If you see that other fish won't leave her alone and she is getting stressed then I think it would be ok to put her in the net.
As for the babies, I learned from my first batch of fry that keeping them in the net for too long stunt their growth, so as soon as you think that they are big enough that other fish won't eat them, go ahead and put them in the main tank. And once you let the babies into the main tank put the floating plants back in if you decided to take them out, this will make them less noticeable to other fish and make them feel more comfortable.
For the first week or so feed the fry a good fry food, I feed mine hikari first bits.
And if you have multiple fry you might see a few fighting eachother. That's completely normal for them to do that so don't worry about them if you see it, it's also funny to watch.
Good luck! If you have anymore questions or concerns I'll be happy to help.

Upvote 0

Ashlyn1620

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Rarebreed84
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Idkitsathrowaway
  • Question