Pregnant Molly...

princess0ash

So, I've had my fish for about 2 weeks now. We got them on the 15th. I've got a male and female molly, and I think my female is pregnant. She's pretty round and shes starting to show brown spots on her belly. I have a 5 gallon tank that I can put her in if she is pregnant... but how should I have it set up for the fry? What should I feed the fry? Currently I feed them Omega One flakes... will that be good or do I need to get something else? How long before I transfer them to the original tank? It is a 29 gallon with 2 corydoras, 2 dwarf gourami, 2 mollies and 2 snails. Here's a photo of her.
1572555810171~2.jpg

BlackSkirtTetra

Lots of plants. The female may eat the fry but if they have sufficient cover they’ll be fine. Fake and real plants work, and floating plants help as well.

trinity28

You can move her to the five gallon and let her give birth there. As soon as she’s done, take her out and put her back into the original tank so she doesn’t eat the fry. Keep the fry in the 5 gallon and feed them often if you want them to grow quickly. I feed my fry four to five times a day. There are foods made specifically for fry that are small ground up powders. These work well, but you can also just use regular flake food as long as you crush it up enough in your fingers that it will fit in their mouths. You have to remember that they have very small mouths when they are born. I feed a combination of ground up flake food and powder food specifically for fry. More experienced people also use live baby brine shrimp as food.

I usually move them back to the tank with the adults when they are three to four weeks old. Really, you can move them back anytime they are too large to fit in the bigger fishes’ mouths. You could also raise them in the original tank entirely, but they would need a lot of hiding places if you want them to survive.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
  • Question
Replies
Views
LizzieZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
wishuponafish