?pregnant Molly Help

1. Nicola1980 Member Member

IMG_3036.JPG IMG_3038.JPG Hi all, new to this group but thought I would give it a try as I am after a little info on one of my fish. I have a communal tank with a variety of fish but I have a molly which I believe is ready to have her fry. I've uploaded pictures of her so hoped someone could give me advice on when she may birth and if I should isolate her or let nature take its course in the communal tank. Thankyou Nicola

2. Shadow2331 Member Member

looking at the picture the size of its stomach looks big but i cannot see its gravid spot, however look for the following signs and symptoms

- Watch for any behavioral changes in your female molly fish. Some of the changes in behavior are that she may move slower in the water, stay away from other fish and eat more.

- Note if a dark triangular spot has appeared near the anal vent. This spot is known as gravid spot.

- Look for the stomach to change. The pregnant molly fish's stomach will begin to grow bigger and stretch out.

- View your molly fish throughout the pregnancy. You will be able to detect the eyes of the fry in the molly fish's belly as it stretches, and the spot near the anal vent will get larger and darker.

If your molly gives birth in the community tank then the babies will be eaten for sure , if u do not want to see the babies being eaten you will have to separate the pregnant molly, breeding boxes are available on the fish store for this purpose :)

3. halljo222 Member Member

The molly could give birth in the tank, although most would be eaten if your tank has enough plants some will hide out and eat on the algae and leftover food . I'm not too sure how many fry the mollies give birth too but the more the better chances you have surviving

4. Nicola1980 Member Member

Hi thanks guys. I can't really see a gravid spot because of her colouring but I can see that it is dark. I have had a look on other forums which say if I isolate her it may stress her out and cause her to abort the fry so I was wondering on the best course of action. My tank has live and artificial plants, logs and ornament with artificial grass on the bottom. She always eats loads and the only behaviour change I have noticed is her chasing the other fish who come near her.

[​IMG]

This is the best picture I can get if her stomach

5. halljo222 Member Member

Java moss is really cheap and can offer the perfect hideout for fry. Lots of people use it when breeding guppies.

6. Nicola1980 Member Member

I'll have a look, thankyou

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would avoid putting her into a breeder net, as they can stress out fish. If you want to keep the fry (do you have somewhere they can go once they mature? Fry will quickly overstock your tank), I would either move them to a separate tank after she gives birth, or move them to a breeder net after she gives birth.

8. Nicola1980 Member Member

Ok thankyou. I'll keep her in the tank and if any survive I'll put them in a breeder net

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would add a plant or something into the breeder net so the fry feel safe :)

10. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Guppy Grass is a great plant. It provides cover. Keeping the fish well fed also helps. What else is in the tank?

11. Nicola1980 Member Member

I have 4 live plants not sure what the names of them are though. I've just ordered the java moss as advised aswell. There are also three artificial plants, one large log with plants attached which is also a tunnel and there is artificial grass along half of the bottom of the tank and a few ornaments

[​IMG]

This is it

12. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Let nature take it's course. I don't think she is ready yet.

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have some stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them. If you would, can you please list out your entire stocking?

14. Nicola1980 Member Member

How do you mean?

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you list your entire stocking for us, please?

16. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I hate to complain, but the goldfish are going to be an issue.

17. Nicola1980 Member Member

It's not a complaint. They are going back to the pet shop this weekend as they are getting big

We have had them all together over a month and had no problem but the 2 goldfish have doubled in size in that space of time....I have had advice from the pet shop and they said the would take them back if they were getting too big, so that is what we are going to do

18. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Glad to hear that. Floating plants provide great cover. I prefer Guppy Grass. I also like Pothos foots.

19. Nicola1980 Member Member

TexasDomer.... why do you want me to list my stock? You can see them in the tank. What sort of stocking issues are you referring too?

I'll look for some to order...thanks BettaPonic

20. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member