Pregnant Molly

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Crystal Rose Fortier, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Crystal Rose Fortier

Crystal Rose FortierNew MemberMember

So, I have a pregnant Molly. She is currently in a breeder box away from all other fish. I also have a towel covering a portion of the breeder box, as my fish tank is in the bathroom and I want to keep her as unstressed as possible. I have a 2 year cycled tank. Triple zeros and neutral ph (oh the benefits of well water). She gave birth to one fry and it was born dead. The breeder box I have her in has a divider to keep momma separated when she has her fry. In 48 hours no other fry have been born, but I can clearly see that she is still carrying (shes orange and you can see little fry eyes). Is it possible that the dead fry was just born too soon and momma will have the rest later? My concern is Miss Molly's overall health, she seems alright but I don't know much about live bearers. Thoughts?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Breeder boxes can stress out pregnant females, and they can stop giving birth and abort the fry if they get too stressed. You could release her back into the main tank, and catch the fry right after she gives birth? You can also add a lot of hornwort or guppy grass to the tank to give the fry somewhere to hide and not be eaten until you can catch them.

3. OP
    OP
    Crystal Rose Fortier

I have a castle, rock cave, large drift wood and several plants (purple crinkle, java fern, java moss) in the main tank. The problem, 6 emerald corys that do their job well lol. I was thinking she was stressed or irritated that she can't get to the sailfin she mated with. They've been together for 6 months and they stay close. I'm honestly surprised this is the first pregnancy. The sailfin is a feisty boy. He's already mated with my new black molly. I think if nothing happens by the time I go to bed this evening, then I'll put her back into the main tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Crystal Rose Fortier

I did some rearranging and have put Miss Molly in a 1 gal tank. Filtered, stone gravel, purple crinkle, air stone and heating disk to keep it nice and warm (same temp as the main tank). No fry but still very pregnant. I'm really thinking she gave birth to that one fry too early, due to being stressed (like you suggested TexasDomer) from being in the breeder box. Just have to keep waiting.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

A 1 gal is way too small for a molly, even temporarily. Watch the water parameters closely if you're going to keep her in there. Mollies have high bioloads. I'd recommend keeping her in the main tank and catching the fry and putting them in the 1 gal instead. You'll need to upgrade the fry to a larger tank soon though. They grow fast!

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with TexasDomer.

7. OP
    OP
    Crystal Rose Fortier

Alrighty then. I suck at this lol. Thank you for your help. Back into the main tank she goes.

8. OP
    OP
    Crystal Rose Fortier

Miss Molly never had any more babies. Huh...