Pregnant Molly

Discussion in 'Molly' started by fishtrooper, Aug 9, 2014.

1. fishtrooper

fishtrooper Valued Member Member

I believe my Molly is pregnant. She looks like it and she has that black spot on the behind. I will attach a picture. My question is: how do you know how far along is she? Also, I know they say its best to put her in a breaded but wouldn't that stress her out not being able to swim around?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    fishtrooper

I believe my Molly is pregnant. She looks like it and she has that black spot on the behind. I will attach a picture. My question is: how do you know how far along is she? Also, I know they say its best to put her in a breaded but wouldn't that stress her out not being able to swim around?

Attached Files:

3. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It's sort of hard to see the gravid spot, but a guess is another two weeks. And the breeder box won't stress her unless she's in there too far in advance of birthing, but it's more for the protection of the fry.

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

She is pregnant & by the look of her she hasn't long to go.
    I wouldn't put her in a breeding trap as it can stress them out, as long as there are plenty of hiding places then there should be some surviving fry.
    You can net the fry out & put them in a breeder if you want to save some though saving them all would soon have you overstocked as she'll drop fry every month for a few months even if you don't have a male as they can store sperm.

5. OP
    OP
    fishtrooper

Yeah that's what I normally do is wait till she gives birth and fish the babies out and put them in the breeder. I already have 10 babies from one of my other fish. I had got another breeder to get ready from these other babies. Also this morning I had noticed my other females are very curious with my pregnant Molly. They are following her around everywhere. I have never noticed that before with my other fish. But I'm guessing that it might be there personality since they all have different personalities.

6. h

haileeyxox New Member Member

From her shape she definitely looks pregnant. She will appear like this \___/ when she is ready to drop. She will have a boxy shape to her since the fry are nearing the back of her, where they will come out. Hope this helped!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice