Pregnant Molly won't give birth

Fishlovers
My Molly is pregnant for 2weeks now so I put her in a net design for fish pregnancy. It still would not give birth. What's the problem? The Anyone can help?

Blueberrybetta
Tank size and water parameters?
Do you have plenty of floating plants to provide hiding places or will you be housing the fry in a separate tank

Livebearers can get stressed easily during labor and moving her into a net most likely stressed her out causing her not to give birth.

wishuponafish
Mollies stay pregnant for 4 weeks and they start "showing" pretty early in their pregnancy.

Fishlovers
Tank size and water parameters?
Do you have plenty of floating plants to provide hiding places or will you be housing the fry in a separate tank

Livebearers can get stressed easily during labor and moving her into a net most likely stressed her out causing her not to give birth.

Blueberrybetta, fish tank is 28L and the ammonia level is 8ppm. which is very high. I start using the ammo lock but the ammonia level is still high. I really don't know what to do now.

magentatooth
I would do 3* 50% water change immediately, one after the other, that would bring your ammonia down to 1. The best thing for high ammonia is very large water changes.

Each 50% water change reduces your ammonia by half.

jkkgron2
What is the full stocking of your tank?
Oh and stop using ammonia lock, it doesn’t remove ammonia. It just makes it so bacteria can’t eat it...

Fishlovers
What is the full stocking of your tank?
Oh and stop using ammonia lock, it doesn’t remove ammonia. It just makes it so bacteria can’t eat it...
So I got 8 guppies and 4mollies in the tank and what should I do to keep the ammonia level low? Also should I put the pregnant Molly in the net?

Blueberrybetta
So I got 8 guppies and 4mollies in the tank and what should I do to keep the ammonia level low? Also should I put the pregnant Molly in the net?

You need to be doing water changes with Prime right now like everyone has been saying...

Fishlovers
I have done the water change. Do I use the Quick Start and if so how often and how much do I use it? Much thanks for all your help.

I have done the water change.But the ammonia level is still 8ppm. Any clue why? I have put some Quickstart and water conditioner in it. That shouldn't affect the ammonia level should it?

Lindsay83
I have done the water change. Do I use the Quick Start and if so how often and how much do I use it? Much thanks for all your help.

You need to do 2 more water changes of 50%, back to back to bring that level right down. We can't make it any clearer. I'm not familiar with the likes of Quick Start, but at this stage, it can't do any harm. Can't help with the dosage though.

IIRC, Ammolock throws off the test results, making them inaccurate. Of course, things might have changed since then, but I would have expected the fish to show some serious signs of ammonia poisoning, if ammonia was genuinely that high. Just another reason not to use it.

wishuponafish

The tank is 28 liters? That's way too small for all those fish, that's why the ammonia is so high. A tank that size can hold maybe 4,5 guppies max and no mollies depending on your filter.

Fishlovers
The tank is 28 liters? That's way too small for all those fish, that's why the ammonia is so high. A tank that size can hold maybe 4,5 guppies max and no mollies depending on your filter.
Oh, thanks for your advise. Looks like I need to get rid of some fishes.

You need to do 2 more water changes of 50%, back to back to bring that level right down. We can't make it any clearer. I'm not familiar with the likes of Quick Start, but at this stage, it can't do any harm. Can't help with the dosage though.

IIRC, Ammolock throws off the test results, making them inaccurate. Of course, things might have changed since then, but I would have expected the fish to show some serious signs of ammonia poisoning, if ammonia was genuinely that high. Just another reason not to use it.
Thanks for your advise. I have done another 2 lots of 50% water change as per your advice. But for some weird reason the ammonia level is still 8ppm. I thought it might be the filter so I clean the filter inside out (by the way it is very dirty). I try to test the water without the filter to see whether there is a difference, it's still 8ppm. I have put some energy stones (such as rose quartz) in the tank for good luck, could that be the cause of the high ammonia? Please help. As I am new to fishes. Many thanks.

jkkgron2
Thanks for your advise. I have done another 2 lots of 50% water change as per your advice. But for some weird reason the ammonia level is still 8ppm. I thought it might be the filter so I clean the filter inside out (by the way it is very dirty). I try to test the water without the filter to see whether there is a difference, it's still 8ppm. I have put some energy stones (such as rose quartz) in the tank for good luck, could that be the cause of the high ammonia? Please help. As I am new to fishes. Many thanks.
I agree with Lindsay83, the ammonia lock is likely throwing off test results. In case there is still a large amount of ammonia lock in the water I would recommend doing a 60-75% water change to try to get rid of it in order to get accurate test results. Removing everything in the filter may have reset the cycle and with all those fish in that tank I would recommend doing daily 25-50% water changes each day for a week or two AFTER you have done the larger water changes and the ammonia has gone down. I’m not sure about the stones but it could be possible they are leaching chemicals?

Fishlovers
jkkgron2, I have done a 75% change and the ammonia level now is 3ppm. I will follow your suggestion and do a water change everyday for 2 weeks and see how it goes. Much thanks! Also, the dirt at the bottom of the tank, how do I get rid of it, as the tank is quite big so I can't just rinse them out.

Lindsay83
jkkgron2, I have done a 75% change and the ammonia level now is 3ppm. I will follow your suggestion and do a water change everyday for 2 weeks and see how it goes. Much thanks! Also, the dirt at the bottom of the tank, how do I get rid of it, as the tank is quite big so I can't just rinse them out.

3ppm ammonia is still toxic to the fish - you need to get it below 1. This is why we've repeatedly told you to do the back to back water changes - not once a day. Once you get ammonia to 1ppm - then you can do daily water changes.

As for the dirt at the bottom of the tank , you can get gravel cleaners that'll help with that.

Fishlovers
Thanks for the advice. But I thought too ridical water change can harm the fish. Isn't that true? I will follow your advice though. Much thanks.

Lindsay83
Thanks for the advice. But I thought too ridical water change can harm the fish. Isn't that true? I will follow your advice though. Much thanks.

It can shock the fish, which is why you don't change 100% of the water at a time, but the more pressing issue in this case, is getting that ammonia level right down.

Fishlovers
Now I done another 75% water change. the ammonia level is 1ppm. What should I do in terms of water change?

In the future I mean.

Lindsay83
Now I done another 75% water change. the ammonia level is 1ppm. What should I do in terms of water change?

In the future I mean.

Now you need to do daily partial water changes of about 25-30%, to keep it at 1ppm or below.

Fishlovers
Do I need to do a water change daily forever?

Lindsay83
Do I need to do a water change daily forever?

No, no - just until the tank cycles and ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm. . Although in a 28ltr, you might have an uphill battle. A bigger tank would be in everyone's best interests, long-term.

jkkgron2
No, no - just until the tank cycles and ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm. . Although in a 28ltr, you might have an uphill battle. A bigger tank would be in everyone's best interests, long-term.
Rehoming some of your fish would also be an option but I would definitely recommend looking into a bigger tank before rehoming any of your fish

Fishlovers
I have followed your instructions and change 2/3 of the water today and the ammonia level is still 1ppm. Should I do another 75%change? Could it be caused by the dirt at the bottom of the tank?

Lindsay83
I have followed your instructions and change 2/3 of the water today and the ammonia level is still 1ppm. Should I do another 75%change? Could it be caused by the dirt at the bottom of the tank?

Yes, it could be. You need to clean the gravel, too.

Fishlovers
Many thanks.

Hi, it's been a few days and I have change about half the water every day. Until 2 days ago I thought I might try not changing the water and put some quickstart into the tank and that should maintain the ammonia level to 0. Well I was wrong while I was changing the water daily the reading is 1ppm and the minute I stop changing the water the level got to 2ppm. I have to immediately change the water 50% twice to make the ammonia level to .25ppm. I really don't know what I should do. Should I get rid of some fishes? I got 10 fishes in the tank ATM. 5 guppies, 4 mollies and 1 unknown breed.

Lindsay83
10 fish really is quite a heavy bioload for a 28ltr, so rehoming some of the fish would certainly help. I'd recommend rehoming the mollies.

Post a pic of the unknown species. Maybe someone can ID it for you.

magentatooth
Options could be to rehome some fish, get a second tank and split the fish, get a larger pump with more media for biological filtration.
Considerations for fish stocking is to be able to have a stable cycle, and for fish wellbeing (compatible species, everyone has enough space etc), and oxygenation.
I currently have issues with too many fish (my tank is way overstocked, it's 130L with 38 fish in it) but can't rehome due to lockdown, however as I have a very large canister filter I don't get measurable ammonia or nitrites.

Fishlovers
Options could be to rehome some fish, get a second tank and split the fish, get a larger pump with more media for biological filtration.
Considerations for fish stocking is to be able to have a stable cycle, and for fish wellbeing (compatible species, everyone has enough space etc), and oxygenation.
I currently have issues with too many fish (my tank is way overstocked, it's 130L with 38 fish in it) but can't rehome due to lockdown, however as I have a very large canister filter I don't get measurable ammonia or nitrites.
Will a 38L tank be big enough for the fishes?

magentatooth
A good website is:
Aqadvisor.com

You can play around with it, it advises what is too many.
I have set the link above for your 9 fish and you proposed tank size.

Another question is whether you have enough filter for the fish (as well as other considerations for giving them space etc), which as your ammonia cannot settle you probably don't.
For example the above website suggests 4 molly and 6 guppy (5 guppy + one unknown fish) should have a 56L tank to have the correct stocking.

Lindsay83
A good website is:
Aqadvisor.com

You can play around with it, it advises what is too many.
I have set the link above for your 9 fish and you proposed tank size.

Another question is whether you have enough filter for the fish (as well as other considerations for giving them space etc), which as your ammonia cannot settle you probably don't.
For example the above website suggests 4 molly and 6 guppy (5 guppy + one unknown fish) should have a 56L tank to have the correct stocking.

Every time I try the Aqadvisor link (including the one in your post) I get a message saying the domain might be up for sale and a list of links I might be interested in, all of which, lead to a search engine.

magentatooth
That is really odd :/ definitely works for me using Chrome in the UK.

Fisheye
Hi. You've done good work getting on the water changes. Your filter is not cycled and I wonder how you cleaned it. Cleaning is sort of a misnomer as it is imperative to retain as much of the beneficial bacteria that lives in your filter. This is what keeps your water safe for your fish IN BETWEEN water changes.

Please take time today to read about how to cycle your tank-the nitrogen cycle. In fact, the front of this forum is packed with helpful information that addresses the issue your are having.

You will have to keep doing water changes until your filter is stable and you get 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and <20ppm Nitrate.

Yes a radical water change can stress your fish so the key is to put the fresh, dechlorinated, temperature matched water back in slowly either by using tubing or aquarium safe container.

As has been mentioned, please stop using AmmoLock. Water changes are the key. Your tanks is small so they are no big deal.

Yes, you need to figure out what to do about your fish, One option would be to get a bigger tank. Until you decide, you must keep up with water changes to protect the fish.

Once you've read about fish in cycling, please take a moment to fill this out. You've got some good advice already-this will only help get more!

Fish Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease 376562

Lindsay83
That is really odd :/ definitely works for me using Chrome in the UK.

O/T, but I've tried Chrome, (tablet) Explorer, (desktop), Firefox (desktop) and Incognito (tablet). It's not working on either of them for me.

I'm in the UK too.

Fisheye
Aqadvisor.com not working in Canada either.

Again, the front of the forum is full of info pertaining to setting up a tank and stocking ideas.

Fishlovers
I am confused. So once I work out the correct size of tank for my fishes how often do I use the Quickstart? (A solution I bought from RSPCA to help built the cycle.) Please help. btw I lost another fish today!! I think I change water too often.

jkkgron2
I am confused. So once I work out the correct size of tank for my fishes how often do I use the Quickstart? (A solution I bought from RSPCA to help built the cycle.) Please help. btw I lost another fish today!! I think I change water too often.
I’ve never used QuickStart so I don’t think I’ll be much help on that but I think The reason the fish died could be a combination of things.
The things that I think are most likely are that the tank is probably to crowded for comfort which is causing the fish to stress, the unstable parameters are causing stress and since the ammonia rises to at least 1ppm it may be harming them to or that the water changes may be stressing them out but I wouldn’t stop doing those until you rehome some fish or get a bigger tank/better filtration. I’ve had almost the exact same thing as you happen to me before and I fixed the problem by upgrading my tank.

Fishlovers
Ii bought a 95l tank today. so how should i go about setting up the tank properly before i put the fishes in the tank?

Ii bought a 95l tank today. so how should i go about setting up the tank properly before i put the fishes in the tank?
BTW 2 fishes disappear from the tank. Any idea?

magentatooth
Often when fish die they’re eaten by the others, or sometimes they’re stuck in the filter

jkkgron2
I would transfer over the filter that’s in the smaller tank along with all the water, substrate, and decorations and then once the tank is about the same temp as the water the fish are in (I would keep them in a bucket while you drain the tank) I would transfer over the fish. After that maybe do daily water changes or water changes every other day for maybe a week to ensure that the cycle won’t die.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Top Bottom