Pregnant Molly Won’t Drop Fry

Adam Knighton

Reaction score
Im fairly new to breeding my fish. (Currently mollies and guppies) I have a Dalmatian molly that was able to drop fry once and it was only 1 fry that we could find. However since that date she has only gotten bigger and doesn’t seem to want to drop any more fry. I’m certain that they are probably dead inside her since it has been about 5 months since the first fry came out.

I’m wondering if there is anything to do to help her release the fry. I just feel bad seeing her get fatter and fatter. Let me know!

Also, I also have other guppies/mollies that have been dropping fry this whole time without any problems and they are in the same tank.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had one that I felt was pregnant forever. I never saw any fry. The male would stay right with her all the time. I had her for about 3 months with her looking pregnant but nothing. I figured she was delivering them but they were getting eaten. Last week when cleaning I did finally find about six fry. I think they just hid well enough not to be dinner and survived. She still looks pregnant.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Remember: Mollies can be housed in saltwater/brackish tanks. Their physiology's a bit different than let's say, Elder's or Platys. But not super drastically different! My new Dalmation and Creamsicle only really drop 1, 2 or 3 at time, for a span of 3-6 months. I just located about 2 more that came swimming outta the floating Wisteria tonight heh...they musta survived by eating the thin layer of green algae!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom