Pregnant Molly problems!!! Help

Discussion in 'Molly' started by candle, Mar 18, 2010.

1. c

candle New Member Member

Yesterday I notice my molly was swimming vertically around the tank. She is heavily pregnant. The rest of my fish are fine. Can someone please help me pin-point the problem and tell me what I should do. I really don't wanna lose another fish. :;dk
    Readings are
    nitrate 0
    nitrite 0
    ammonia 4.0
    This reading is today and i did a 50% water change I also add neutral regulator and salt. I have a 40 gal, that is still cycling I think??? still trying to understand the whole cycling thing.
    4 mollies
    3 platy
    4 guppies

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Candle and Welcome to Fish Lore!

First if the Neutral Regulator that you added is to alter your pH levels, I recommend that you stop using it. Chemicals used to alter pH levels are unstable and can lead to a pH crash causing fish loss. Most fish can adapt to the pH levels that we have right from the tap.

There are also natural ways of altering your pH levels discussed in the links below:

Second, your tank isn't cycled and your fish may be feeling the side effects of ammonia poisoning. Your tank is cycled when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. If you have live plants in the tank then you may have 0 nitrates too.

I recommend that you do daily 30 to 50% water changes. Add some Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for a 24 hour period until it's time for the next water change.
    3 of the best if cycling with fish
    Keep up with the daily water changes until you have the readings I mentioned above. After adding your chemical to detox the ammonia, wait 24 hours to test again to get accurate results.

Best of luck.
    Ken

3. OP
    OP
    c

candle New Member Member

Thanks so much for your help! I have a 10gal established tank, so i moved my molly to that tank for now. will be picking up the Prime as soon as i can. Fish keeping is not a easy job! but it is worth it to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice