Pregnant molly. Need info asap please!

KianMan

Hey guys! Ive got a pregnant molly and i need your help
When should i separate her from the community tank ( when i say community tank, i mean shes just with 2 danios) do yall know when she might drop
1627207122780174507667.jpg

Yeoy

I generally find separating them can cause more stress. Make sure there are plants/places for her to cover/hide and if you see the other fish chasing her, try turning the light off for a while.

Upvote 0

KianMan

I thought so too
would you know how soon she might drop?
Shes a pretty silver Molly and right now she's got a tinge of silver on her belly. idk if that's because of the pregnancy or if that's her natural colour. I bought her like a week ago, so I don't know what she looks like when she's not gravid. as you can see, ive got an internal filter in there. Is there anything should do about it?

Upvote 0

Yeoy

I thought so too
would you know how soon she might drop?
Shes a pretty silver Molly and right now she's got a tinge of silver on her belly. idk if that's because of the pregnancy or if that's her natural colour. I bought her like a week ago, so I don't know what she looks like when she's not gravid. as you can see, ive got an internal filter in there. Is there anything should do about it?
Is she a balloon molly? When their body starts to get square/boxy underneath that's usually a sign they're close. If you're worried about the fry you can put a small piece of mesh (I have used pantyhose with a rubber band before) over the filter intake.

Upvote 0

KianMan

I have no clue what strain of Molly she is but I will definitely use the mesh idea. thanks :)

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Danios will eat molly fry. My danios were catching my molly fry quicker than I could but I was able to rescue a few of them. My mat of floating plants weren't thick enough to keep the danios out.

Guppy grass, hornwort or even the thick roots of other floating plants such as dwarf water lettuce or frogbit will give the fry a pace to hide. In my case the fry immediately swam to the top of the tank so floating plants will help them hide.

If you want to try to keep most of the fry you may want to take the danios out until she gives birth and the fry have grown a bit. I do think you will have a better chance at getting healthy fry if you just let her stay in the tank where she is most comfortable. I don't know it for a fact but think putting her in a breeding box will stress her out and you take a chance on her aborting them before they are ready.

If you have no other place for the danios you may want to consider putting them in a breeder net when you think she is ready to drop the fry. They aren't going to be happy in the confined space but it may be necessary to do so to give the fry a fighting chance at survival.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
trinity28
Replies
Views
Platylover
Replies
Views
fishbreeeder
Replies