Pregnant Molly fish in breeding tank

Christeena Shiju

Hi,
Can anyone please help me with your advice. I have a white pregnant molly fish. I moved her along with another female black molly fish to this small tank and have placed a bunch of plastic plants. I am not in a position to buy enough live plants at this point. this plant is thick and fills almost the tank, I thought this would give enough space for the fry to hide in. but ever since I moved both the molly fishes, both of them are mostly at the bottom of the tank and just in between they come up and then moves down again. my main tank has a pair of swordtail fish, around 8-9 platy fish, a male white molly, 2 silver shark and one big silver dollar. so I guess it is not safe for my molly to give birth there.

my molly is possibly on her 3rd week from her last drop of fry.

can anyone say if placing such thick plants preventing my molly from running around and being active? she hardly comes up when I give food.... but eats it later... I had used the breeding trap with one of my black molly in the main tank, but after shifting her to the plastic breeding tank, in few days she died. so I am bit concerned on using the breeding floating tank again.

thank you for your help.

Bijou88

She's probably just stressed from the move. Some of my female platies hover at the top or bottom too just to escape the boys I think. I would vote for the small tank over the breeder net/box though, that tends to stress them out more.

To add, you might leave the lights off for her for a while, they de-stress better in the dark ime.

Christeena Shiju

HI Bijou,

I switch on the light only when I feed. But I was wondering if they are not moving because of the filled in plants. I had cut down one outer layer of the plant...

perhaps they are stressed. I hope she won't abort her pregnancy... I am just a starter and wish to save my fry..

Bijou88

It doesn't look like too many plants to me, it should give them plenty of room to swim. I would guess it's just stress from being moved.

Good luck with your babies!

Christeena Shiju

Thank you Bijou. Yea, even I have my fingers crossed hoping to see babies soon... the branches touches all the sides of the tank which actually gives space only in the bottom and on top... I also wonder if they can see the food I am giving them as they don't come up for food, whereas when they were in the main tank, the moment I switch on the light, all my fishes know which side of the aquarium to come and wait for the food, that includes these two too...

anyways, hoping for the best.

Bijou88

How long ago did you move them? You might try sinking some food down to them to make sure they're eating if you're worried about it.

I was so excited when my platies first gave me babies so I know where you're coming from. Now I have about 35 in a grow out tank and another 20 or so in my main tank that I can't catch and the adults won't eat, lol. I have no idea how I'm going to get them out of there without tearing the tank apart.

Christeena Shiju

Bijou,

You are a great help to me and in understanding me. Thank you so much for that.

I moved them to this new small tank just 3 days ago. they do eat the food when the flakes fall down, so I put in the food and leave the tank without filter on for quite some time. at times they do come up for food at a later stage but then immediately goes back down under the plant and stay there unmoved for long time.

actually my black molly was also pregnant and is supposed to deliver at the same time. However on Friday when I woke up, I really felt her tummy has become small but no fries are found in the main tank, this is what led me to get another small tank and move them into it.

anyway, I will keep a watch....

Christeena

Bijou88

It's possible there are fry still alive in the main tank if the black molly did give birth, they're very good at hiding if you have enough plants and decorations in there. Is the small birthing tank cycled? You might test your water if it's not, that may be adding to any stress the pregnant molly are experiencing in there.

And you're welcome, I'm also fairly new to fish but I'll try to help if I can

Christeena Shiju

HI Bijou,

Greetings. Thanks to all your support. I shifted my black molly back to the main tank as she was chasing my white molly all time. I then changed half the water in the breeding tank and there it goes... my white molly gave birth to 40 fries soon after I did this... I am toooo excited...

Now being 4 days, I shifted the mother molly back to main tank and babies to the 20 Liter tank where I had 5 babies from last month. In the birthing tank, I did a complete cleaning and change of water and I now put on a female swordtail who is pregnant. She has been having gravid spot which got bigger and now almost 3 weeks since I started seeing the gravid spot. Not sure when she will be due to give birth.....

once again thank you for all your help...

Cheers!!

Christeena

Bijou88

Yay! Glad to hear you got some babies and everyone is doing well. I would guess your swordtail has a little while to go personally, she doesn't appear to be very big in the belly. If you feel more comfortable leaving her in the birthing tank and she seems to be doing ok in there you can probably leave her and see what happens. Good luck! Thanks for the update! Let me know if you get swordtail babies.

Christeena Shiju

Ya.... even I at times feel she has at least a week or more to go. she is fine in the birthing tank, except that she hides if me or kids get near the tank to feed her or just to watch.. I guess I can just leave her there so she will get comfortable gradually with the new surroundings by the time she is ready to give birth...

you are right, her belly is not very big. just that the gravid spot has appeared more. this is my first fish that is showing gravid spot. even my white molly never showed gravid spot...

Bijou88

None of my platies have ever shown a gravid spot, lol. They just get huge and eventually pop out a bunch of babies. She'd just hiding due to stress from the move, just like the molly was. She'll adjust if given time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
fishbreeeder
Replies
Views
JtheFishMan
  • Question
Replies