Pregnant molly chasing male molly.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've had two mollies for a few months now (was 3, one died a couple months ago), and the female who has been pregnant for a few weeks and she has been chasing the male around just these past couple days. Is she going to give birth soon? She keeps chasing him every time he comes near her.

Please help.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably wants child support!:):):)

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SycKo said:
How big is your tank?
10 gallons. I know they are NOT meant to go in anything smaller than 30 gallons but I was very inexperienced back then and I was listening to a petsmart associate's recommendations. I guess that's not much of an excuse and I should have known better.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticQueen said:
10 gallons. I know they are NOT meant to go in anything smaller than 30 gallons but I was very inexperienced back then and I was listening to a petsmart associate's recommendations. I guess that's not much of an excuse and I should have known better.
It could be then that she feels vulnerable being in such a confined space with him. Do you have lots of hiding places in you tank? Is she really big? She could be close to birth too...

bwer2

Reaction score
Close to birth she will start chasing him...so she’s def close to birth

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SeaMonkey06 said:
It could be then that she feels vulnerable being in such a confined space with him. Do you have lots of hiding places in you tank? Is she really big? She could be close to birth too...
I don't have a whole lot of hiding spots, a cave and a few plants. Plan on adding more but I am a really bad procrastinator. She is nearly at full size and is a little bit bigger than him. She's also pretty close to birth so I don't really know what is going on.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She is stressed, probobly in pain from carying 50 babies, and the male is goin to continue try to mate with her because he doesnt know any better. This willl happen even in larger tanks. can you get a tank seperater or make a DIY tank seperator?

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Noroomforshoe said:
She is stressed, probobly in pain from carying 50 babies, and the male is goin to continue try to mate with her because he doesnt know any better. This willl happen even in larger tanks. can you get a tank seperater or make a DIY tank seperator?
What would I make one out of? I can't go out to get materials and I don't have canvas sheets or anything.

bwer2

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
What would I make one out of? I can't go out to get materials and I don't have canvas sheets or anything.
that will make her stress out even more...she is doing that because she is due any time

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bwer2 said:
that will make her stress out even more...she is doing that because she is due any time
Okay, thanks.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A breeder box will stress her out more, a tank divider should leave her plenty of room.
plastic canvis and binder edges are an easy way if you can get to a store or get delivery in time

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Noroomforshoe said:
A breeder box will stress her out more, a tank divider should leave her plenty of room.
plastic canvis and binder edges are an easy way if you can get to a store or get delivery in time

I don't have canvas or binder edges and she's pretty close to delivering. What else can I use?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FinalFins said:
She is chasing the male because she has asserted dominance and has no room to go.
Do you have any craft foam that stuff is inert suction cups would help it stay up.
a mug or glass or ceramic or terra cotta vase laying on its side can be a good hideout
I wonder if you could put the male in a breeding net so he leaves her alone? probobly not the best plan IDK
You could just order a tank divider for next time, or get the materials at micheals curb side pick up for next time.
More ideally you need a seprate tank for the males and females, because they can have 50+ babies each time.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Noroomforshoe said:
Do you have any craft foam that stuff is inert suction cups would help it stay up.
a mug or glass or ceramic or terra cotta vase laying on its side can be a good hideout
I wonder if you could put the male in a breeding net so he leaves her alone? probobly not the best plan IDK
You could just order a tank divider for next time, or get the materials at micheals curb side pick up for next time.
More ideally you need a seprate tank for the males and females, because they can have 50+ babies each time.
Okay, thanks. I'll do that.

Update:
My male molly just died. I found him lodged up-side down in a plant in between a couple stems. I think either he got caught and couldn't move, or she just kept bullying him and his body fell in there. I removed his body and then did a water change. I feel pretty guilty about his death. I should've put them in a better tank. It was my fault and I won't make the same mistake again.
:(:(:(

New Threads