Pregnant Molly And Danio :? Question

1. Rana Member Member

I need a little more help. Sorry for the stupid questions. I saw two of my red danio having swollen belly chasing for food and chasing others danios frequently. I have attached some pics.
    And secondly I have a molly which doesn't seem to have a swollen belly but I can see her gravid spot. She's quite normal in behaviour , no chasing. Attached her pics too. Please let me know what do you guys think and what should I do next?
    And sorry for the bad quality pics. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

That doesnt look like a Molly to me. It looks like a female swordtail. The danio doesnt look extremely swollen to me neither. Danios can get full of eggs and the only way for them to get rid of them is to spawn. I have never kept danios so I cant tell you how an eggbound female would look like. I would try fasting her to see if it was just overeating, if the swelling doesnt reduce then she may indeed be eggbound and you will need to trigger spawning.
    To trigger spawning you obviously need to have males and to perform a water change with cooler water to simulate the rainy season.

3. Rana Member Member

That's a female swordtail? Our lfs are really dumb and making us too wow! Anywz thanx ..I will try to make 1day fast to see if that's reduced. If no then idk what to do with her..I have a breeding box but that's not for eggs right?
    And what about the swordtail? She has a dark gravid spot :/

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Nope, I dont think a breeding box will work to breed those guys.
    Is the swordtail with males? She doesnt look pregnant to me. I dont keep swordtails but it is not uncommon for female livebearers to have a gravid spot even when they are not pregnant.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, it's a swordtail and it doesn't appear pregnant.

6. Rana Member Member

i didn't knew that is a swordtail. My lfs gave it to me as a molly and yea i have another male molly with it. So, as it is a swordtail and not a molly, she's alone by herself. I can see a black spot.Its pretty dark , the pictures didnt came good. But it's dark, If she's not pregnant what could be it? and yes 1 more thing she had that spot from the day i bought him home. The spot is slightly dark.

lol well! I got fooled by my lfs then :(. Anyways ,she's happy.

How do i save my danio's eggs? She really looks pregnant, the pictures aren't clear.

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

They are egg scaterers so you need hiding places for the eggs. Spawning mops help with that.

8. Rana Member Member

U
    have lots of plants and gravels , which i heard can help the eggs survive, but my mollies keep on nipping my plants 24*7. How long it takes for the fry to come out from eggs?

9. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Depends on the temperature and tbh I don't remember. Look it up on google.

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The fry will be eaten unless you move them to a different tank. The danio fry I mean.