pregnant mollies

1. becca470 Initiate Member

hey I have to female pregnant mollies I one has already had there fry I managed to save 10/11 and have put them in a breeding net till they are big enough not to be eaten by my other fish I'm new to this first time fish owner I just need tips etc
    and when will I be able to tell the sex of the babies, I have a male swordtail fish that has breed with my female with the babies that are male grow the sword tail, also how much would I sell them for as my tank will be very crowded once my other one has her babies
    Also is it normal for the pregnant females to poo a lot there constantly pooing sorry :)

all tips and advice would be greatful

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Congratulations on your fry.
    Unfortunately as livebearers are so prolific they have little monetary value unless you have an unusual colour strain.
    Some Lfs will give you store credit for them but most won't & some won't even take them at all.
    You could advertise them on local fish selling groups on Facebook but don't expect to get much for them.
    How much are you feeding them? More food = more poo, as long as it's not white & stringy there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
    You should be able to sex them once they're a few weeks old though some males can be late developers.
    Be aware they can start reproducing as early as 3 months old

3. becca470 Initiate Member

thanks for your reply I feed them a little bit in the morning and then again at night there was one part today where it was like white see through kind off looking and then the next one was green and that was from the pregnant female what does the white mean ?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

White stringy poo can be a sign of several things internal parasites & constipation, as long as it's not constantly white & stringy there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
    You could feed them a blanched deshelled pea just in case they're a bit constipated & keep an eye on them to see if they're eating & acting normally

5. becca470 Initiate Member

okay. thanks yeah only happened once hope she's okay where can you can that from ?

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You mean the peas? Just use defrosted frozen ones not tinned

7. becca470 Initiate Member

oh awesome I thought it had to be brought from a pet store how many do I give and how do I give it to them ?

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Try just one to start with, blanche it in boiling water for a minute or two or microwave for a few seconds then either crush it between your fingers or chop it up into small pieces with a knife

9. becca470 Initiate Member

no worries ill do that now also the pea won't affect my
    other fish will it, as in they will be alright of they eat it I have tetras and an angel fish too

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

No, peas won't hurt your fish at all it's just another food & they'll probably enjoy it.
    You might want to use a couple of peas so they all get some

11. becca470 Initiate Member

okay thanks so much for the advice sorry for all the questions

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You're welcome, if we don't ask we don't learn.
    Good luck with your fry :)

13. becca470 Initiate Member

sorry one more question how often should I feed the babies

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

2-3 times a day, very small amounts & remove any uneaten food after 10-15 minutes so it doesn't foul the net or the tank

15. becca470 Initiate Member

okay thanks also with the peas I just have them some they don't seem to go anywhere near it should I remove it soon or just leave it

16. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Leave them for 10 mins or so, if they haven't had them before they might take a few mins to realise they're food.
    Take them out after that if they still haven't touched them

17. becca470 Initiate Member

okay thanks :)