Pregnant Mollies Harassing Female Dwarf Gourami

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I noticed my pregnant mollies chasing my female dwarf gourami and "kissing" her sides....just chasing her all over the tank..and when she loses them, they go after my male honey gouramis...has anyone seen this before, and do you think I should seperate them? (Are the feeding on her slime layer??)

Thanks

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
If she is doing targeted harassment, yes. Chase , then disengage should be okay as it's territory display, but actual attack - no. I just had to remove a female Koi Betta I purchased this weekend because she relentless was chasing the light yellow crowntail. It was targeted attack as she ignored the other females.

Pregnancy ( so I have read) can make fish even more territorial, separation maybe your best option now.

OP
M

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have space, so I added another female DG, now she has a GF and they both chase the Mollies away when they come to harass them. I do think the mollies are trying to feed off the stress coat...when other fish are aggressive, they seem to nip at the tail or dorsal fins of the other fish to chase away...this situation the mollies were approching from the side of the DG and putting their mouth on the BODY. I dosed stress coat, made sure everyone was fed, and bought my DG a friend...behavior seems to have ceased.

Drav

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt expect any aggressive behavior out of mollies thats kinda odd, they arent feeding off the fish's slime coat, its probably bullying of some sort, if it doesnt go away id probably separate the fish, it might also be the aquarium is too small. What size tank do you have?

OP
M

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
58 Gallon, Planted column tank. they have been living side by side for 6 months. It is strange. If it WAS aggression wouldn't it look like normal fin nipping? Like I said the other female DG I added seems to have cured the situation. I have tried to house several male DGs over the past year and they have all died. Assuming DG disease. The female DG has thrived as have my two honey gouramis, so I just added another female DG and all seems well again. Only thing I added to my tank prior is some frogbit, otherwise popluation has been healthy and stable for months.

Drav

Valued Member
Reaction score
58 Gallon, Planted column tank. they have been living side by side for 6 months. It is strange. If it WAS aggression wouldn't it look like normal fin nipping? Like I said the other female DG I added seems to have cured the situation. I have tried to house several male DGs over the past year and they have all died. Assuming DG disease. The female DG has thrived as have my two honey gouramis, so I just added another female DG and all seems well again. Only thing I added to my tank prior is some frogbit, otherwise popluation has been healthy and stable for months.
Aggression isnt always fin nipping, it manifests in all sorts of ways. maybe give it a few weeks and see if the aggression dissipates. It might just be some dispute among the fish, it may just sort itself out.

OP
M

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Knowing female DG's are super rare in the US, where did you get your two ?
My LFS has them quite often. I I think the owner buys them from a customer that breeds them here in Chicago. He always seems to have a batch when I go in there. I'll ask him his source next time I go in.

OP
M

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is from last week. I am at work, but I will make sure to get a few when I get home tonight. My LFS is called Animal Krackers Pet Center in Merionette Park, Il. 3309 W 115th St, Merrionette Park, IL 60803. I didn't know they were that rare.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 6 14.3%

Top Bottom