Pregnant guppy?

JMI6

Reaction score
Im new at this My lfs told me it was a male but from its coloring and growing belly i dont think it is. With its growing belly i was wondering if my guppy is pregnant? .

Attachments

SeaMonkey06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JMI6 said:
Im new at this My lfs told me it was a male but from its coloring and growing belly i dont think it is. With its growing belly i was wondering if my guppy is pregnant? .
It looks to me like it might be a female fish because of her body and fin shapes. This doesn't necessarily mean it's pregnant, though it would be the most likely explanation as guppies breed like crazy and she's HUGE.
Do you have any birds-eye view pictures of your guppy? Is it acting sluggish compared to the others?
Do you have any other guppies in the tank with it? (sorry for all the questions)

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dang! She looks like shes about to explode! I dont think that's a male! She's as big as my pregnant cousin!

JMI6

Reaction score
So while i was taking a birds eye view i noticed one baby swimming around. Is it possible there is more hiding? What do i do with it since i have other fish in tank if i want a chance of survival?

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's a pregnant female all right. What are the tank mates? If it's just the guppies, most of the fry will survive even if you just leave them alone.

JMI6

Reaction score

JMI6

Reaction score
Is it abnormal to only see 1 at this time. Didnt see it until i was trying to take birds eye view of my guppy with flash on then it appeared

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JMI6 said:
Glo danio and cory cat and the guppy
I'd just leave them be, unless you want a ton of guppies. At least a few will survive without you doing anything if there's hiding spots.

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JMI6 said:
Is it abnormal to only see 1 at this time. Didnt see it until i was trying to take birds eye view of my guppy with flash on then it appeared
Sometimes it takes them awhile to have all the babies. If you see 1 and she still looks like those pictures, she's probably in the process of giving birth now.

JMI6

Reaction score
mimo91088 said:
I'd just leave them be, unless you want a ton of guppies. At least a few will survive without you doing anything if there's hiding spots.
What do they eat? I did notice this one going down to hide in my gravel or on my decoration. Hopefully theres more im not seeing and i get a few survivors.

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JMI6 said:
What do they eat? I did notice this one going down to hide in my gravel or on my decoration. Hopefully theres more im not seeing and i get a few survivors.
They'll eat algae and biofilm, but also little pieces of the adult food, if you're feeding flakes, just crush a bit of it into a fine powder during regular feeding.

SeaMonkey06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JMI6 said:
So while i was taking a birds eye view i noticed one baby swimming around. Is it possible there is more hiding? What do i do with it since i have other fish in tank if i want a chance of survival?
Oh wow! First of all, congrats! Second of all, some guppies do eat their young, but yours should be okay (depending on your tank mates?) and as long as you have good hiding spaces in your tank.

Good luck!

SeaMonkey06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JMI6 said:
Yes, I think you're okay as long as you have a few plants for the guppies to hide in. If you want them all to survive, then I suggest you move them over to another smaller tank (if you have a spare one)
If not, feeding them crushed food should be all good.

Good luck!

JMI6

Reaction score
mimo91i 088 said:
forgot we did add a bumble bee platy in the tank the other day. Will this still be ok?

SeaMonkey06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JMI6 said:
forgot we did add a bumble bee platy in the tank the other day. Will this still be ok?
Oooh. You BB Platy may eat your guppies, but if you have enough cover, a few may survive.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JMI6 said:
This is a pregnant female. The one who sold her to you, should have known this to be honest.
It's common that a pregnant female doedsn't always drop all the fry at once. Nothing to worry about.

jasmine-smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
JMI6 said:
Glo danio and cory cat and the guppy
What's the tank size? Kind of concerned about your stocking choices.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom