Pregnant Guppy?

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, so I have a pregnant guppy. Her name is Kindle, and she isn’t fully grown yet. Her belly isn’t super huge, but I’m pretty sure she is pregnant, because her gravid spot is getting bigger, and it is getting darker too. She has been getting bigger for the past two weeks, but I really hope she doesn’t give birth over spring break, because I will be in Florida. So, if she does give birth while I am gone, the babies will most likely be eaten. Any advise on what to do?

brondo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Heres the thing. She will have even more next month, and more the month after. You wont be able to stop her from eating them if you arent there to remove her.

brondo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh dang she is really small. And to me, she doesnt look pregnant. But I could be wrong.
How old is she?

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She isn’t as small as she looks on the picture. She’s nearly an inch long, she just doesn’t have much coloring. I got her from a friend, so I don’t know her exact age, but I think 7 or 8 months old.

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Her gravid spot and belly have both grown, so I think she is pregnant. Maybe not 2 weeks though.

brondo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When my guppy was pregnant she looked like an uncomfortable balloon. I think she may just be growing. But time will tell. She just looks so young too.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
she doesnt appear to be full grown yet, so any fry she has probably wont be super healthy anyway. if you want to save the fry while you are on break, add a bunck or java moss or hornwort or something like it. the fry will be able to hide in there and the live plants will provide a food supply for a while.

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I breed guppies.
Based on the pictures she is either not pregnant or just freshly.
Could easily be just maturing in general.
Either way. Easy way to fix the worry of fry being eaten put a small plant that has tons of cover in the tank so the fry can dwell there. One of my breeding tanks has one of those small plastic grass plants. About 3"x3" and another has java moss tied to a rock. Anything honestly that the tiny fry can protect themselves in and the adults can't get to as easily.
Have had fry use sponge filter ridges to protect themselves for a while.
Either way I believe you should be safe for your trip coming up.
Good luck and fish on!

SarahMcGee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm guessing she's just maturing more and that's what you're noticing. You'll know for sure within the next month though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom