Pregnant Guppy Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Herpetologist, Apr 15, 2018.

1. H

Herpetologist New Member Member

I have this pregnant guppy and I was wondering if anyone could tell me based on pictures how long it would be until she gives birth. IMG_7450.jpg IMG_7444.jpg

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

IME, when the gravid spot is that dark, you'll have fry in a few days to a week.

That said, I've had guppies with gravid spots that looked like that for the last half of the pregnancy.

If you want to save the fry, just be prepared and check the tank often.

3. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Wow she is a very pretty girl! Love the tail and dorsal fin, where did you find her?

Usually gravid spots aren't a good indicator of pregnancy, some guppies have them just before birth as lorekeeper said or some have dark gravid spots all their life, even when virgins, and every possible gravid combination inbetween these two extremes.

Based off her stomach size, she is only one or two weeks into pregnancy. You are keeping her with males right? Just be patient and she will drop within the next 3 weeks or so.

Try to keep her out of breeding traps as those can stress her and cause abortions. Just provide plenty of hiding places and she should feel safe and the fry will hide and grow up naturally.

You can tell she will drop in the next week if she is hiding more, being agressive, has a change in diet, looks like \____/ underneath, poops more and has faster breathing.

Hope this helps and good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice