Pregnant Guppy??

1. Alley1030 Initiate Member

hey everyone, this is my first post so bare with me....hopefully I’m doing this right.

I have had my tank for about a month and a half now and after doing some research in pretty sure I have a pregnant guppy. Her gravid spot is VERY dark right now she she has a very square like belly.

For the last day and a half or so she has been sitting in the bottom of the tank hardly moving. I do have some fake plants in the tank but she had been sitting out in the open and just acting strange. She isn’t eating and seems to be breathing hard. All the other fish seem to have been “picking” on her so my husband put a net thing in the tank and let her swim into it then we moved it up after she swam into it. Just so the other fish couldn’t bother her. I’m not sure if this is a sign of labour or if something could be wrong with her. Hopefully someone here might have some answers on what I should do.

2. Chris Dotson Initiate Member

I do think she may be pregnant, my female guppies hang out near plants fake or real when about to give live birth, however- the net might provide some shielding for her while she is vulnerable like this. Last thing, are you sure the guppy is a female?

3. Alley1030 Initiate Member

Hey Chris,

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m 100% positive. She’s female. She has more of like an actual fin on her underside. I know my males have a “stick” like fin.

4. Nanologist Well Known Member Member

It's very common and likely. New female guppies can live birth up to 3-4 months after bringing them home. Many bring them back to the LFS for store credit once they reach a certain size/age.

5. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Make sure you keep a close eye on her in the breeder net. If she gets stressed in there, she can abort the fry.

6. Chris Dotson Initiate Member

Hey again,
    Definitely heed the advice from Racing1113 about keeping an attentive eye to her condition in the net- and they are social so if she can't get out of the net- she might endure more stress-
    cheers and good luck
    =)

7. Alley1030 Initiate Member

I let her out of the box and went out today and bought some live plants. She’s just hanging out in the plants. But still acting very weird.